Letter to the editor: Even healthy Badgers get the flu

Get vaccinated at University Health Services this month
Herald archives

Each year, influenza affects the campus community and students miss significant amounts of class time and work. To limit the effects of the flu on the student population, University Health Services offers a flu shot, free of charge, to every University of Wisconsin student through Nov. 20. More than 2,000 students were vaccinated during the first flu shot clinic Sept. 25.

Fighting the flu: UW students receive free vaccines around campus

The flu vaccine is safe and helps protect you and those around you including roommates, friends and classmates. Students who want to reduce their chance of contracting the flu are encouraged to get vaccinated.

Even healthy Badgers can get sick. Students miss an average of five days of class due to the flu. Receiving an annual flu shot promotes academic success, prevents interruption to course work and keeps the campus community healthy.

UW supports the Center for Disease Control recommendation that individuals older than six months receive an annual flu shot. Students who have chronic health conditions, such as asthma, diabetes or immune disorders, are strongly encouraged to get an annual flu shot.

The vaccine protects against the seasonal flu as well as strains H1N1 and H3N2. Last year, 13,950 UW students were vaccinated. This year, UHS hopes to vaccinate more than 15,000 students.

The cost of the flu shot is covered by student health fees, and it takes less than 10 minutes to get vaccinated.

There are three outreach flu shot clinics scheduled across campus in addition to walk-in flu shot clinics at UHS from now through Nov. 20. For more information on flu shots, visit uhs.wisc.edu.

• Friday, Oct. 9, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Health Sciences Learning Center
  • Wednesday, Oct. 14, 3 p.m. – 7 p.m., UHS Lakeshore Clinic
  • Monday, Oct.19, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Union South

Sarah Van Orman ([email protected]) is the chief health officer and executive director of University Health Services.