Point Counterpoint: Why you should get involved in UW’s College Republicans

From the College Republicans
Herald File Photo

The University of Wisconsin College Republicans want to help students elect leaders who lower taxes, freeze tuition and honor our brave service men and women. We want to serve as a place where government can become real for you.

For most, it’s not easy to follow the lines to the exact moment where government creeps into our lives. So let’s make it easy.

This summer you worked your butt off to pay for college. Each week, each month, you would wait for your paycheck to arrive. After excitedly tearing it open, you were disappointed because you realized how much money the government pulls out of your paycheck.

The government says your hard earned money is being used effectively and efficiently, but you never see how.

Everyone organizes their college funds before returning to UW. Look at the amount of money you had, and the daunting price of tuition. You scowled wondering whether you’ll be able to pay for school or pay off your student loans.

In high school, people said they were joining the military and wanted to serve this country. In their eyes was life-long dedication and sacrifice, as they tried explaining what service means to them.

As a College Republican I find relief realizing there is a group of people who care deeply about these issues. There’s an incredible presence on campus that values hard work, opportunity and freedom.

Sometimes it seems as if our country has stopped caring. It’s unsettling the moment you realize Facebook, celebrities and sports take precedent over important issues brewing in our society and government.

How many times have you heard the mention of a government affair, or current event, only to have someone respond, “Well, my family and I don’t really follow politics.” How many times have you thought, “It really doesn’t matter … it’s not affecting me.”

It is true in this great country, you have the freedom to not care, but if society continues to be apathetic, the freedom to be inattentive to government and the world around us, will no longer exist.

In order to preserve our freedom to “not care” we must participate in it and become educated on relevant issues.

Our duty is not simply voting on Election Day.

These are steps that need to be taken to make government more efficient and accountable with our money, to make school more affordable, to ensure our service men and women do not sacrifice their lives in vain and to make sure when your voice is heard it is protected.

College Republicans are young motivated people who understand how precious America is. They understand the only way to preserve the freedom that everyone enjoys, even being apathetic about the government, is to start informing people, educating them and helping them come to the conclusion that your country’s government does matter.

I’m proud to be part of the movement of Republican students who want to positively change how people think.

We value the self-determination that equal opportunity provides all of us. We value you’re freedom to achieve, and we value you’re freedom of opinion. We value the moment where government becomes real in your life.

Emelia Rohl is a sophomore majoring in Communication Arts and Strategic Communication