Internships don’t equate to free labor, regardless of definition

Employers benefit from interns, should not be allowed to circumvent payment
Internships dont equate to free labor, regardless of definition
Jeff Miller/UW Communications

There are stepping-stones prior to graduation. Often one of these stones is the search for an internship and learning in a real work environment. They should be paid for their services regardless of the tricky language used to define their employment.

According to the United States Department of Labor, interns in the for-profit private sector who qualify as employees, rather than trainees, must be paid.

This is pretty straightforward and simple. But the DOL also states, internships in the private sector will most often be viewed as an employee.

By using the terminology “most often,” the distinction between employees and trainees in this context is vague. In this definition it is clear that interns who are legally classified as employees, must be paid. Those who are classified as trainees do not have to be paid.

So, when is it legally appropriate to not pay an intern?

The DOL has devised a set of criteria that must be met in order to determine when an intern is a trainee. Among the criteria are: the internship is similar to training given in an educational environment, and the internship experience is for the benefit of the intern.

It is easy to get lost in such language, and this conveys the larger message that the criteria may not be as clear as it could be.

Internships are often sought after because they align with academic interests of the student. They provide a “real-world” application of topics taught in the traditional classroom setting. Sometimes internships are not directly related to a student’s academic interests, but they still provide valuable communication skills.

A practical work environment is very different from a massive lecture hall. Think of the chemistry student who interns at a private laboratory. There is the aspiring law student who interns at a local law firm.

Working and interacting with professionals in a particular field is educational in ways a traditional classroom is not. Many individuals may benefit with this practical application of what they have studied. This is an invaluable resource for them.

Students are not the only ones that benefit from this arrangement. Employers find that internship programs serve as a direct means of cultivating the skill sets of students, as well as building relationships with potential employees.

Interns are of great value to businesses, regardless of whether they work in the public or private sector.

These interns are boosting workplace productivity for the businesses that hire them. These interns are learning how to function as active and productive members of the workforce. The bottom line is that they should be paid for their work. It shouldn’t depend on an arbitrary definition.

Danny Walzer ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in Spanish and communication.