Newsflash: Budget cuts cause professors to go elsewhere

Erik Brown
University of Wisconsin Chancellor Rebecca Blank has raised concerns over UW’s ability to attract top-notch faculty.

When it comes to Walker’s proposed budget cuts, there is at least one area where University of Wisconsin can tell the state government, “I told you so.”

The university has expectedly opposed the proposal for $300 million in cuts over the next two years for a laundry list of reasons. Among it, the concern UW will be unable to compete against other universities to attract high quality faculty and staff. It looks like this fear has been realized. The Wisconsin State Journal reports UW lost two top job candidates this February due to budgetary concerns. But, this really isn’t surprising as UW losing highly-regarded faculty amidst budget controversy isn’t a new reality.

Back in 2011, two professors left UW for other universities after $125 million in cuts were proposed in the 2011-13 biennial budget. One of these professors, nationally recognized scholar Jeremi Suri, was vocal about the role the cuts played in his departure to University of Texas-Austin. He was quoted as saying, “I love this place and am very sad about leaving, but it’s been a really hard year here … I think with the political attacks on the university and the budget cutting, it’s hard.”

We have to realize professors are highly respected experts in their respective fields and will receive offers from other universities – universities that can offer them nearly twice the money that UW could. When other universities can offer things UW can’t, faculty isn’t left with much of a choice.

And, really, if the university lost professors following a proposed cut for $125 million, what did we expect to happen following a proposal for more than double that amount?

Madeline Sweitzer ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in political science and history and intending to major in journalism.