UW administration: Sexual assault awareness is a year-round effort for UW

Badger Herald File Photo

April marks Sexual Assault Awareness Month, a time to acknowledge how sexual assault, stalking and dating violence impact our campus and community, and how we can work together to make the University of Wisconsin a safe space for all people.

Sexual assault is a significantly under-reported crime. Research indicates that between 1-in-4 and 1-in-5 college women nationwide experience sexual assault while in college, and many men also experience sexual victimization. We are here to support students who experience sexual assault, whether they decide to report it or not. We are here to create and maintain a safe, open and equitable campus for all.

UW does not tolerate sexual violence. We are committed to preventing sexual violence before it happens, responding effectively and fairly when it does and providing the necessary support to victims so that they may continue to participate in their educational opportunities. Confidential support is available on campus for survivors, and no report is required.

This month, our students have an opportunity to share their confidential thoughts between April 13 and May 2, with the release of the Association of American Universities campus sexual assault survey.

As one of 28 universities participating in the survey, UW has an opportunity to understand student victimization prevalence, incidence and experiences with offices on campus. The university will also be able to better understand general student attitudes and knowledge about sexual assault, intimate partner violence, stalking and sexual harassment. ​

We also work year-round to educate and combat sexual assault and behaviors. For example, all first-year undergraduate students (freshmen and transfers) are required to take the online “Tonight” primary prevention program on sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking. Effective fall 2015, UW will also offer a primary prevention program to incoming graduate students, professional students and new employees.

We acknowledge and support victims of sexual assault not only in April, but throughout the year. Please use this time to consider ways in which you can support someone affected:

If you are a survivor or know someone who has been sexually assaulted, help is available. Please call any of the following resources:

• University Health Services (for physical and mental health services): 265-5600 or the Rape Crisis Center: 251-RAPE
  • Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (at Meriter Hospital): 417-5916
  • UW Police: 264-2677
  • Madison Police: 261-9694
  • Dean of Students Office: 263-5700
  • University Housing: 262-2522

Any conversations you have with UHS and the Rape Crisis Center are confidential. The following resources have reporting obligations: Dean of Students Office, UW Police and University Housing.

Together, all of us at UW will continue working to prevent sexual violence, support survivors and ensure a campus climate that is safe for all.

UW Provost Sarah Mangelsdorf, Dean of Students Lori Berquam, Executive Director of UHS Sarah van Orman and UWPD Chief Susan Riseling collaborated on this piece.