Farewell, thank you from half the opinion desk

Thanks to campus community contributors, commenters for making this section what it’s meant to be: a marketplace of ideas

My time as the Herald’s opinion editor can best be summed up by some sort of overly positive, cheesy cliché.

What that cliché actually is, though, I have no idea. Something that ties together growing as a human being, the longevity of the print product (it’ll never die) and a lot of other emotions I haven’t come to terms with.

But here we are.

On a less sad note, I’ve wholeheartedly enjoyed my time as opinion editor. I’m especially grateful for the variety of opinions that have been submitted to me and have helped shape the opinion page into what it should be, a marketplace of ideas.

We’re excited to be a forum for student dialogue on campus, whether it be through discussions that have been spurred by columns in the opinion section or through student contributions in the form of letters to the editor.

For me personally, the Herald has helped mold me into the writer and editor I am today, transforming me from an angsty, opinionated teen into a somewhat less angsty adult, while giving me a reason to get up before 2 p.m. Sunday afternoons (print production starts at 2:30).

During my two semesters here, the Herald’s opinion section has transformed too. In addition to more traditional opinion columns, banter — an online opinion subsection that provides news commentary — began supplementing opinion content last semester. The opinion section’s online presence has grown in conjunction with the emergence of the banter section, giving the whole section a new depth and presence with our campus audience.

But now, I’m handing off my opine responsibilities to a fresh face, a very well-qualified soon-to-be editorial page editor. I am absolutely certain the page will grow in new ways and experience new developments.

In the meantime, good luck with finals, have a good winter break and keep sending opinions our way.

Briana Reilly ([email protected]) is a sophomore majoring in journalism and international studies.