Point CounterPoint: Nov. 4 election analysis – College Republicans

Republicans across state, nation sweep midterm elections

Around 100 College Republicans gathered at Brickhouse BBQ Tuesday night to watch and then ultimately celebrate the election night results. The results of Tuesday night show that the American people are fed up with the Democrats’ failed agenda and are ready to look toward the Republican Party to lead. This message resonated throughout the country and it’s worthwhile to note what that means for the future. Here are a couple things to know following this historic election cycle.

Gov. Scott Walker prevailed against Mary Burke by a 5.7 percent margin, essentially the same gap he won with in 2010. On the campaign trail Walker kept telling voters that he believes voters to want to “vote for something not against something.” The whole campaign, Walker had talked about what he had done and what he would continue to do if re-elected. Meanwhile, Burke’s campaign never successfully could paint herself as anything other than “not Scott Walker.” Looking back at 2012 the Romney campaign was criticized for doing the same thing against Obama. By never defining herself, she was unable to rally her base enough to boost turnout to win.

Scott Walker wins re-election as Wisconsin governor

The state Assembly and state Senate also had a good night in Wisconsin. The Assembly increased their majority to 63 of 99 seats (barring any changes due to recounts) and the Senate increased their majority slightly by gaining one seat bringing them to 19 of 33 seats. Two weeks ago, Assembly Speaker Robin Vos released the Assembly’s legislative plans for the future. Included in this plan were goals to strengthen rural schools, freeze tuition for the University of Wisconsin System, reform the welfare system and keep taxes low across the state. With an even more conservative Assembly and Senate, expect to see new and forward-thinking bills passed.

The national Republican Party also had a pretty good night Tuesday. As of now, the United States Senate has flipped to a Republican majority with 52 Republican senators. This number will likely increase to 54 following a run-off in Louisiana and once the Senate race in Alaska is called. Since 2010, Republicans have been itching to gain control of the Senate and probably would’ve soon if not for poor GOP Senate candidates in 2010 and 2012. With the majority in their hands now, it’s up to them to prove to the American people that they are the party that should be in control. Under Harry Reid’s run as Senate majority leader, the Senate failed to act on more than 300 bills that had been passed by the Republican House. Count on the Republican House and Senate to pass numerous bills thus putting the ball in President Barack Obama’s court. Obama will have to find common ground with the Republicans to hopefully end the Washington gridlock that has existed since 2010.

Another great sign Tuesday night was the diversification of the Republican party. U.S. Rep. Elect Mia Love, R-Utah, became the first black female Republican to serve in the House. U.S. Sen. Elect Tim Scott, R-South Carolina, became the first black senator to win an election in the South since Reconstruction. U.S. Rep. Elect, Elise Stefanik, R-New York, also became the youngest female ever elected to Congress. These elections show the national party realizes the need to become more diverse and reach out to more Americans. To win in 2016, the Republicans will need to continue their so far successful effort of reaching out to areas they once had ignored.

Lastly, the College Republicans as a national organization had a phenomenal night Tuesday. In elections all across the country Republicans made huge gains among millennial voters. For example in Ohio, Gov. John Kasich won the youth vote by 10 points, a 25-point swing from his first election in which he lost the youth vote by 15 points. Swings, while not as big, where seen like this in states all across the country. Even in Wisconsin Walker essentially tied Burke when it came to voters ages 18 to 24. Walker’s tuition freeze proved to be a great talking point on campus and showed students what Republican leadership can do for them. These gains with youth voters  warn Democrats that they cannot take the youth vote for granted when 2016 arrives.