The spirit of Mifflin still lingers, even after second-annual Revelry

Joey Reuteman

Last weekend, the infamous Mifflin Block Party was, for a second year in a row, replaced with Revelry. This music festival lasted 10 hours last Saturday with music, dancing and other festivities. Despite Revelry’s rise, however, students at the University of Wisconsin know that the spirit of Mifflin is still not dead.

In May 2012, the last year that the party was held, there were more than 500 arrests and an estimated $200,000 in costs for the police enforcement. These statistics were enough for the police department and city to halt Mifflin once and for all.

The more than 6,500 students and guests that arrived for the day party on the street were essentially relocated. Instead of having a good time on Mifflin outdoors, people instead held individual parties inside or walked over to Memorial Union to continue the excursion at Revelry. Except this time there was even louder music and an even bigger crowd. Where is the sense in this?

The reason for breaking up Mifflin is that the University of Wisconsin and police are acting under the hope that students will stay safe. However, Revelry could theoretically bring just as much unrest to the student body. Music festivals like the one held in Milwaukee every year, Summerfest, witness things such as mobs and sexual assaults. These are the exact same problems that occurred while Mifflin was still occurring with its immense crowds. The general problem is a generous amount of people with alcohol in their system are going to cause some sort of disturbance. However, the actions of police and UW officials to make a huge decrease in these types of drinking complications will most likely prove to be ineffective and overly optimistic in the long term. (For this year, UW and Madison police declined to provide information as of Sunday on any incidents or arrests during the festival.)

Underage drinkers definitely had a large presence at Mifflin in the past, and this year was no different, even though they were less visible. At Revelry, despite its zero-tolerance alcohol policy, students still pre-gamed beforehand, using the event as an excuse for day-drinking. An underage drinking ticket at UW costs around $260, an amount that still does not have enough influence to stop those under 21. Regardless, the security Revelry-goers faced when arriving was inconsequential; I witnessed multiple women pull flasks out of their shirts, even though security checked them. Whether one was on the street or in a public facility, police still gave underage tickets out.

The lineup this year had artists like Waka Flocka Flame, G-Eazy and Dillon Francis. All three of these artists, along with many more, aren’t exactly the calmest genre of music. With songs titled “Stay High” and “Smoke, Drank,” it is safe to say that the crowds were drawn in. Intoxication and rowdiness ensued in accordance to the music’s influential lyrics.

The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities just held its major music event, Spring Jam. Authorities at the campus made sure to have plenty of police officers to address any disturbances. The main concern for the Twin Cities’ campus was to prevent another 2009 riot. In other words, the three-day festival experienced its own hectic situation and now every year since, campus officials have to take the right precautions, including an increase in spending. Both of these things are the two main concerns that UW here wanted to avoid by holding Revelry. Confusing, right?

The Mifflin Street Block Party began its tradition back in 1969, with about 200 arrests that opening year. Clearly the difference of time, more than 40 years, had no impact on the crowd or its troubles. The question at the end of the day was if Revelry was able to avoid the chaos. Revelry Music and Arts Festival managed to go under the radar last year in regards to arrests and tickets. This year, it definitely stirred the pot a little; by gaining popularity, it is only on its way toward attracting larger masses and therefore the chance for further disruptions in years to come.

Undoubtedly, Mifflin still thrives in the hearts of UW students, even after a second year without the block party. With the spirit of having a good time, Mifflin will long live on.

Shannon Skebba ([email protected]) is a freshman majoring in international studies with a certificate in global health.