Don’t forget your self-education: The university can’t teach you everything

I’m writing this in the comfort of my unusually warm apartment. I have a lovely cup of green tea next to me, and I’m about to dive into a book called “The Design of Everyday Things.” I’m also supposed to be in class right now getting what some comedians would call an edge-uh-muh-cation. As skipping class is a typical affair among college students, I thought I might elaborate as to why I’m skipping class, not to justify my actions, but to encourage some out-of-class activities for you.

This is my last year at the University of Wisconsin. The class I’m skipping is the last German class I have to take, because four semesters of a foreign language are required of me if I want a branded piece of paper at the end.

While I believe some language courses should be required for graduation with any degree, asking four semesters of someone is quite outrageous. Two semesters of a language is enough for you to make it out alive if you find yourself in an area that only spoke the language you are studying.

In my eyes, the third and fourth semesters of a language course that some of us are forced to take is depriving us of the real education we signed up for. Why take two more semesters of a language that you won’t use or will forget by the time you do try to use it? Imagine how much better a journalist you could be or an engineer you could be or a mathematician you could be if you were able to take an additional two courses of subjects you’re actually passionate about. (Obviously this concept excludes those who are language majors or those who plan to study abroad. Nonetheless, continue reading. The next part includes you.)

This isn’t just about language classes, either. I could list a handful of (required!) general education courses I’ve taken that I remember little from, produced nothing of magnitude in or flat-out didn’t need to begin with. UW is known for admitting only highly intellectual students. Doesn’t it seem like an oxymoron to stick us in classes with which the content that is shared, we already know or for all it’s worth, will never use?

Alas, let me move on by mentioning the book I’m reading. It’s called “The Design of Everyday Things.” While it’s a joyful text, the real reason I’m reading it is for self-education and to understand design. This is the sixth book this year that I’ve read to help me with my career. Perhaps it’s becoming clearer now to you why I’m writing about education. I’m skipping class for the purpose of self-education because I can’t depend on the university to teach me everything I need to be successful. It’s not just UW either; it’s a nationwide issue.

Until educational dichotomies are better designed, we owe it to ourselves to self-educate and get our money’s worth while attending the university. It seems that the best education we can get is the one we give ourselves.

Author’s note: For you sticklers who think “I’m paying for this, I’m going to class.” Yes. Definitely go. Nothing beats self-educating while also receiving a “formal” education. Two birds with one stone, really.

Garth Beyer ([email protected]is a senior majoring in journalism.