Diving into the deep end: Digital team to challenge tradition

After a semester for the Herald to get acclimated with an online-first model, it’s time to dive in.

Our founders created the Herald to be the paper they wanted to read on campus—a philosophy that will guide the content we feature online.

It’s up to us to change the traditions handed down in order to further adapt. In drafting new routines, our nights of production will no longer “begin” or “end”—content will be due as soon as it’s available—and relics like “save it for print” and “we’ll get it up later” will no longer be uttered in the newsroom.

Our digital newsroom will extend beyond the Herald blue walls of our State Street office to the always-charged iDevices of student reporters across campus.

My counterpart, Katie Caron, will pick up where this model falls short — producing in-depth content and following up on big stories. Together we hope to expand our coverage and engage with students.

Building on the Herald’s strong tradition of innovation, we will continue to fine-tune how we cover news to best server our readers. It’s our way of assuring we remain the most relevant paper on campus.