Enjoy ‘just right’ fall weather while it lasts

As I sit here on the laziest Sunday of the year, contemplating what the hell happened against Arizona State last night, I gaze out my bedroom window at the overcast sky and can’t help but notice that, minus the trees that have yet to change color, it looks a lot like mid-fall. The draft through my crappy window subtly reminds me it also feels like mid-fall. It is certainly a far cry from just last week when we played football powerhouse Tennessee Tech where, inside of Camp Randall, thermometers read close to one-bajillion degrees.

Then, people were complaining that it was too damn hot, like the “Transformers”-scene-of-Megan-Fox-running-in-slow-mo hot. They wished for colder weather, weather that would put hair on your chest. If it didn’t, then you certainly wish it would so you could stay warmer.  However, now that the wish has been granted during the past couple days with colder mornings and chillier nights, people have been saying it is too cold … but like, just put on some more clothes or something bro. I think this change in weather is for the best. If you don’t think so, not to worry. It’s supposed to get up to 80 degrees by Thursday, and, if your apartment doesn’t have air conditioning, you should be sweating balls in no time.

I, for one, love fall weather. Some find it a little on the chilly side, but those are usually the people who are still wearing shorts when it gets down into the 50s. Just put some pants on, you turkey! With fall weather, you can always put on more layers if it is a little cold, but during the dog days of summer when it’s on the upwards of 80 or 90 you can only dress down so much in public until you get arrested.

Fall weather is perfect for outdoor sports like football and pretty much any physical activity outside with the exception swimming. It is not cold enough where you might pull a muscle, and it isn’t warm enough where you have to worry about sweating profusely. It is just right.

In regards to living conditions, fall weather is way better, especially if you live on a college campus where the landlords don’t really care enough to put in air conditioners. I live on the third floor of a house without air conditioning, so over the course of a 90-degree day, the heat rises and our apartment begins to transition into a sweat lodge that makes sleeping nearly impossible. But, over the last few days, sleeping has been glorious. It’s been the perfect temperature that allows me to utilize my blankets to their fullest potential, which in turn has helped my bed to run at optimal efficiency and given me a better night’s sleep. I am now more rested and have the energy to take care of more chores and homework during the day. I still choose, however, to procrastinate and save things for the last minute. Classic college.

To me, the beginning and middle of the fall — with classic fall weather of mid-50s to 60s — and a crisp breeze is the best kind of weather. I do enjoy the summer months as well, but some days get too hot and sometimes the only way to cool off is to walk around naked, which I guess is frowned upon. So, as long as I do not join a nudist colony somewhere down the road, fall weather will always hold a special place in my heart.

Hayes Cascia ([email protected]is a junior with an undeclared major.