Blank must lead diversity efforts

The Associated Students of Madison Student Ad Hoc Liaison to the Campus Diversity and Climate Committee and the Diversity Committee of the Associated Students of Madison would like welcome Chancellor Rebecca Blank. We look forward to partnering with her to work on the implementation of the 2013 Campus Diversity Plan.

With the implementation of the Campus Diversity Plan set for next fall, students need to be assured that incoming Chancellor Blank will have an understanding of the importance of its implementation when she begins her time here at the University of Wisconsin. When the drafting committee has completed the plan in July, we expect that Blank will be equipped and excited to work to ensure the Diversity Plan is carried out. We expect Blank to implement the plan, as drafted, through shared governance, with accountability, incentives and resources. Additionally, we expect the resourcing of the plan to be a top priority of Blank.

The Ad Hoc Diversity Planning Committee has been carefully planning out the framework in a series of phases that ensure inclusion of all shared governance groups on campus. This committee will be working with administration to ensure proper implementation and accountability. We expect Blank to be willing and ready to hold this new Diversity Plan as a priority and be a leader in its operation at UW.

This letter was written by the Associated Students of Madison Student Ad Hoc Liaison to the Campus Diversity and Climate Committee, of which Hannah Kinsella ([email protected]) is chair, and by members of the Diversity Committee, of which Mia Akers ([email protected]) is chair.