Facing tough crowd, president needs audacity

I sincerely hope that President Barack Obama has the audacity to address how he will change U.S. policy in his second term. Audacity is the willingness to take bold risks. Obama’s risks must speak to the true content of his character – his morals and his vision for our country – instead of the demanding ear of the campaign trail and rich Wall Street billionaires.

President Obama may be in for a tougher crowd than he imagined. He will be making his case to unapologetic and pissed-off progressives, moderate Democrats who feel he has not done enough for the environment or to regulate financial markets and those who wonder why they continue voting for the “best” of two evils.

Although he is just one decision maker in the midst of a complex political system, President Obama must address several issues. He must address why Guantanamo is still open and why the Washington Post reports that his administration has deported 1.4 million people – more than the Bush administration deported in eight years. He will have to explain why drones continue to strike innocent families with children in Pakistan and why his administration continues to crack down on whistleblowers.

These are the things I want to hear the President talk about. I want my fear that President Obama does not really stand for hope and change to be assuaged. Specifically, I want President Obama to address why there hasn’t been a solution to the more than $1 trillion of student loan debt, the 1.4 million deportations or the relationship between our country and Israel – despite millions of Palestinian refugees who live without a state.

President Obama sure has a lot to talk about.

Max Love is a senior majoring in African American studies and political science.