Know resources, be educated for better renting

As the school year approaches, most University of Wisconsin students are moving into new dorms and apartments. But even as we’re just settling in, some of us are even beginning to think about housing for next year. While figuring out who you’re going to move in with may be exciting, the landlord-tenant relationship in Madison is often a fickle one, and there are lots of things to know before you rent.

The first step in renting is, of course, picking out an apartment. But be wary: Only choose a rental company you know you’re going to be comfortable with. If the landlords seem distant and the apartment seems to need repairs, it’s likely the landlords will treat you the same way they’re treating the current tenants. I myself made this mistake: I found an apartment I loved through Lake Towne Apartments, but I could tell right away they weren’t going to be very helpful. I stuck it out because I wanted the place, but I could have chosen a much more attentive company and would have been happier with my renting experience.

When it comes time to move into your new apartment, make sure you thoroughly document everything that’s damaged in your apartment. Landlords can take portions of your security deposit by claiming things are damaged. However, if you can prove you were not the one that damaged them, they won’t be able to hold you accountable. You may feel rushed to turn in your damages sheet to your rental company, and often the forms don’t provide much space to write. Take extra sheets to write if you need to, and take pictures for further clarity. The extra time you spend on this can save you a lot of money.

Also, make sure to examine the safety aspects of your new digs. Madison is an old city with some very old buildings, and landlords may not take the time to bring their units up to code if students don’t say something first. Common problems include lack of hot or cold running water, exposed wiring or outlets or structurally hazardous conditions, according to the Tenant Resource Center. Even if your landlord balks at the repairs, insist the building be modified for your safety.

Another issue I recently ran into was the carpet cleaning conundrum. According to the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection, there is just no way your landlord can require you to pay for carpet cleaning. Not even if it’s on your lease, whether you’re moving in or moving out, even if it’s called a “non-standard rental provision.” The only way the landlord can ask you to pay for Stanley Steamer is if you, your guests or your pets have really done a number on it, more than can be explained by normal wear and tear. So if your landlord tries to ask you to shampoo your carpets, write them a letter reminding them they can’t.

These are just a few of the issues I’ve had trouble with, but there are so many more. Visit tenantresourcecenter.org to learn about your rights and limitations. Know and feel free to contact your alderperson. We can all increase the quality of our housing by knowing our rights and choosing companies that support their renters, not battle against them. #Rentinformed2013.

Taylor Nye ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in evolutionary biology, archaeology and Latin American studies.