The ‘little monsters’ award

Turn on any MTV reality show and you’re likely to see at least one man and woman drunkenly arguing, dropping expletives every other word. Replace the alcohol with judicial robes and the swearing with?? – wait, actually leave the swearing in – and you have the paragon of legal decision-making in Wisconsin: the state Supreme Court.

Over the past year, the court has caused almost as many facepalm-inspiring moments as the Associated Students of Madison, which undercut whatever little faith we had left in our public officials. The Supreme Court is supposed to be the utmost realm for citizens to seek justice and for laws to be interpreted. It is supposed to be the quintessence of behavior, not the epitome of disappointment it has been thus far.

First, Justice David Prosser called Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson a “total bitch,” and now is facing investigation for allegedly placing his hands around the neck of Justice Ann Walsh Bradley. Despite the fact that eight of the justices were present, only one has recused herself so far from the following proceedings.

Then Justice Michael Gableman refused to recuse himself from cases involving the law firm that had defended him free of charge after ethics complaints were filed against him. It seems as if Supreme Court justices are spending the same amount of time behind the bench as they are on the stand.

But at least the Supreme Court can be proud they get the Little Monsters Award because, despite the fact that they’re supposed to be an example of excellence and exemplary behavior, they instead have chosen like children going through the terrible twos.