Farewell to the forum of voices, online commentors

Long before I penned my first opinion column for The Badger Herald, I recognized the importance of having an opinion. I have never hesitated to speak my mind when it comes to matters I feel strongly about, regardless of how trivial they may seem to others. However, my experience writing for the Herald has taught me that simply having an opinion is not enough. Anyone can have an opinion, but it is not until we learn to tolerate the opinions of those we disagree with the most that can we become altruistic contributors to the marketplace of ideas upon which our freedom of speech depends.

In the democratic society we live in, opinions flow freely. In the continual thread of societal discourse, one opinion can be heard, yet it cannot, and should not, silence the rest. Its impact can, however, contribute to the diverse and ever-changing tides of public ideology. The dissonant nature of this ideology presents us with a paradox. From it, controversy can stem, yet through it, a critical social balance can exist.

This balance emerges from the ashes of contention – contention that is rooted in the universal desire to never stop questioning the truths upon which we have built our society. Without this desire for perpetual debate, ideological hegemony would ensue, and we would be left with one universal “truth.” However, such consensus cannot exist as long as a liberal approach to free speech prevails.

I find so much substance in this reality. Even in the face of ideological chaos, a freedom – an empowerment – can emerge. We need not simply accept what is handed to us so long as we surrender the notion that our own opinions are the only ones that matter. This is the core of what I have come to realize here at the Herald.

As harsh as the commentors’ critiques could be, I learned to realize the value of their criticism. At times, they were blatantly offensive and, by my own standards, ignorant, but all of this is relative. Although I often disagreed with their viewpoints, I have come to appreciate their intentions. After all, they were just trying to be heard, just like me.

Putting forth one’s own opinion can be incredibly intimidating. Having opinions and expressing them are what set humans apart from other beings. Possessing the ability to hold beliefs and communicate them with others is a critical crux of human dignity. However, with this freedom comes inherent vulnerability.
Each opinion column I have written for the Herald is a reflection of who I am as an individual. Having said this, I do not define myself solely by my pro-choice stance, my concern for the environment or my liberal political orientation, even though they all contribute to my collective identity. More important than my political party affiliation or my viewpoints on controversial issues is my unwavering belief in tolerance and open-mindedness. I am one contributor to a vast and ever-changing collection of ideas, but my opinion is not the only one that matters. No individual should have the power to determine what is or is not truth. Truth does not emerge from absolutism, but rather from debate predicated on the tolerance of variance, even in the face of offense. Until we embrace this, simply having an opinion is not enough.

I have come away from my time at the Herald with so much more than I ever could have imagined. I feel so privileged to have had the opportunity to work with such talented writers and editors, all of whom are also extraordinary individuals. I like to think that I contributed something interesting or, at the very least, thought-provoking via my writing. But even more than this, I hope that my thoughts and ideas had an impact. Above all, I am grateful to the Herald for giving me the chance to be heard.

Hannah Sleznikow ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in political science.