Walker’s rotunda Christmas tree should really be pagan tree

Members of the Freedom from Religion Foundation were upset by Gov. Scott Walker’s announcement on Nov. 7th that the tree to be erected in the Capital Rotunda later this month will be called a “Christmas Tree.” The president of the group, Annie Laurie Gaylor, called it rude and insensitive to those who are not Christian. To be upset about something as trivial as this is a bit absurd; however, there is no doubt room for worry when it comes to matters of religion, for it always has a way of creeping into public policy. 

The Constitution establishment clause clearly annunciates that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,” and the government putting up a Christmas tree is not establishing a law concerning religion; it is merely a public display in line with social tradition. I like Christmas trees just as most people do, and although I find many elements of the Christian tradition to be quite repulsive and immoral, I do not find anything wrong with decorating evergreen trees and covering them with fanciful lights and ornaments. 

However, the group is not protesting the tree itself, but rather the name which the Governor’s Office is calling it, which, by the way, goes against past legislation that says it is to be called a “holiday tree.” Personally, I think “holiday tree” is quite a lame name. However, FFRF has a better point than they know.

Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ on Dec. 25, despite the fact that the Bible does not actually give a date for his birth. However, there is a good pagan reason to celebrate Dec. 25, which is actually the winter solstice. If you know your mythology, you also know that this is very important to ancient cultures because of its seasonal significance. It represents the reversal of the gradual lengthening of nights and shortening of days, which is important for agricultural cultures whose lives revolved around the sun and harvest.  

In pre-Christian Europe, this period was a time of festivals and religious observances as the Sun god now began to beat back the forces of darkness and return to shine on the fields. The use of evergreen trees, decorations and other such traditions can be traced back to this pagan lineage. Consider that during the feast of Saturnalia, Romans decorated their houses with evergreen branches or the Northern Europeans who attached candles to trees in honor of their god, W?den.  

Christmas has adapted countless traditions and festivals into itself as cultural and religious forces have changed over time. Members of FFRF should not argue for the holiday tree, but rather for the pagan tree, because historically speaking, that is what it is. Ultimately, I do not think it inappropriate for the government to take part in cultural tradition, and even as an anti-theist, I greatly enjoy and look forward the coming, of the winter solstice, and I may just make a toast to the long forgotten Gods of old.

Matt Jeffers ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in economics and philosophy.