Lt. Gov shouldn’t blame sexist state

Maybe it’s just discouragement from when we almost crowned the lipstick-wearing pit bull as (God Bless) America’s second-in-command, but it seems like strong female leadership has fallen off the agenda, at least in Wisconsin. In an interview last week with Fox 11 out of her native Green Bay, Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton discussed her reasons for recently ending her run for governor of Wisconsin. Citing that the state’s resource allocation and press coverage are structured in a way that puts female candidates at a disadvantage, Lawton said she “hate[d] to admit” Wisconsin is not yet ready for a female governor.

This clearly presents alarming implications for the way Wisconsin’s campaigns are structured. It is also disappointing, coming from a candidate who has been aware of and active about the need to expand opportunities for fellow women. For instance, Lawton launched the Wisconsin Women = Prosperity initiative, which seeks, among other things, to empower and increase economic opportunity for females in the workforce. She has also spoken on many occasions about boosting female leadership and prosperity. I mean, this is a little ironic (Alanis, anyone?). The position of governor would obviously have afforded her the ability to take action on the issues she is passionate about, had she won. And if that includes women’s issues, then staying in the race is itself a means of “preparing” voters for a strong, viable female candidate.

Additionally, placing the blame on the state community seems, to put it bluntly, a little bit of a cop-out. Yes, we are shaped by society, but we are also responsible for directing it through the choices we make. While some of those choices may be forced upon us, Lawton was not coerced into running for office, and should take the opportunity to use her pulpit for the issues that matter to her. Especially in politics, you cannot meekly ask for what you want and expect to get it (a la Oliver Twist in the cafeteria); you–or your elected representative–have to demand it. And by refusing to, Lawton is, in a way, allowing the unacceptable to continue. She may not only be calling the community unprepared; she is also demonstrating her tacit acceptance of that unpreparedness.

That said, I understand it is not Lawton’s responsibility to change the system or to suffer any injustices she may be facing for the sake of current or future female candidates for office. In that case, though, she should not take the approach of blaming her withdrawal on Wisconsin’s unpreparedness. After all, many would argue the United States is not ready for gay marriage. But that does not, and should not, deter people from working toward LGBT rights. If those who are being marginalized send a public “we give up” memo, nobody is going to work to improve their situation for them. Because let’s be honest — we love ourselves a little status quo maintenance.

So yes, Lawton is right to point out the problems inherent in Wisconsin’s politics, and it is certainly her prerogative to drop out of a race she does not feel she has a fair chance in. But it is downright hypocritical, and an affront to her own prior efforts, to frame her exit as a surrender to everything she is fighting against. And though she is not responsible for women everywhere, she should, being cognizant of her public image, nonetheless consider the message she is sending to aspiring female leaders. Because only a woman leader (this does not include a certain 2012 wannabe with ugly rimless glasses) can prepare us for, drum roll please… a woman leader.

Hannah Shtein ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in philosophy.