Sex column acceptable act of free speech

The recent controversy surrounding a University of Montana law professor’s calls for censorship has rekindled questions of what free speech really means. Kristin Juras’ comments chiding the lack of professionalism in a sex column appearing in the school’s independent newspaper, The Kaimin, have created more of an uproar than the raunchiness of the column itself.

This criticism wasn’t caused by anything the columnist said in particular; the columnist has kept her topics of discourse to sex positions, kinky toys, virginity and Facebook relationship statuses — things that seem relatively tame to the normal college student. The alleged “unprofessionalism” seems to have been stimulated by the simple fact that it is, in fact, a sex column.

Constitutionally, Kaimin sex columnist Bess Davis has every right to forego the foreplay before writing her next column and continue with another titillating column because of the right to freedom of speech. However, the validity of exercise of free speech is better examined at a practical level because there are, of course, limitations despite the lack of regulation the First Amendment may suggest.

The professor holds that the sex column is harming the reputation of the school and by extension, her own career. Ironically, her attempts to censor the paper are only bringing more attention to the “Bess Sex” columns. Her search for more restrictions to the column have only highlighted her grouchy attitude, which is probably hurting her image more than the column ever could. The people who would think less of the university for printing a sex column probably hadn’t read the column until she started the debate.

An independent college newspaper that censors its content in that manner is an embarrassment because the purpose of such a publication is to share school-related topics of discussion and news in a manner appropriate for students. A reputable newspaper is one that embraces naked journalism and columnists willing to cause debate. Doing so with too many metaphorical clothes on takes all the fun away anyway, and unless the newspaper is printing pornography or erotica, the columnist’s voice should be heard.

Honestly, the presence of sex on any college campus is unmistakable, and if students have opinions about it, they should be heard just as clearly as a column ranting about politics. In contrast to the work of many of our politicians, at least sex actually gets something done.

Anyone who has read the shout-outs knows college students have sex, hear about sex and want to share their views on it.

An anonymous commenter reacting to The Badger Herald’s very own sex column, Hump Day, said in response to the first sex installment on Sept. 18, “If they want to run stuff like this, that’s their decision. Like any other organization, they have to take their public into consideration, and if the public wants to learn more about sex (from a totally qualified person), they should get it.”

This is exactly the justification for the sex column. Because students have opinions about sex, they should be able to share them with other students. The Kaimin — as well as The Badger Herald — is an independent newspaper. It can choose what it wants to print, just like any other publication.

However, I would even dare to say that a sex column doesn’t even need to be a written by a “totally qualified person.” University of Montana sex columnist Bess Davis described herself as not a “sexpert” and “no doctor,” but her opinions are entertaining and worthwhile. The Hump Day contributors have never presented their columns as expert advice. Juras had criticized Davis‘s lack of credibility, which makes the column seem less professional. If students are looking for an authority, they should seek a doctor or sexologist.

The sex column is completely justified in its expression of free speech. The First Amendment doesn’t just legitimize and legalize the right for people to say what they think in most media. It creates on obligation for columnists and citizens alike to share their opinions, whether they be about sports, politics or even sex. Censoring a column is appropriate only in instances where such free speech has no redeeming value. Whether it be about sex or liberty, we could all learn something from “Bess Sex.”

Patrick Johnson ([email protected]) is a freshman majoring in journalism and English.