ASM constitution will not succeed without students

Nine months of effort, 12 public feedback sessions, some 400 comments from students, and three drafts.

Do we really deserve such effort?

The nine-month process that has seen the framing of the proposed Associated Students of Madison constitution has been marked by a decided lack of attention on the part of the student body at large. We in the chattering class have watched it much like the handful of people who watch the World Series of Bowling must gorge themselves on its airing on ESPN in the wee hours of the morning.

I don’t question the utility of ASM’s new constitution. I was a part of the system during my time on SSFC. The constitutional changes address many of the problems with ASM. Student Council looks to actually have a purpose now

Those of us who care about an institution whose importance is so undervalued and whose relevancy is so critical care about something no one cares about must ask a series of questions: If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

ASM leaders are fighting an impossible battle: to gain the attention of an uncaring and apathetic student body. The new constitution that students will have the opportunity to vote on next Monday and Tuesday is a central piece of ASM’s attempts at legitimacy and relevancy.

Student Council, under the current ASM structure, does nothing. Two words describe their function: stamp and rubber. At the moment, one-third of Student Council seats are not filled. The students who do fill these positions are too often absent from biweekly meetings and committee assignments. The question is too often asked, and legitimately so, does Student Council do anything? The constitution addresses that issue by vesting the Student Council with actual responsibilities and cohesiveness.

Further, the new presidential structure allows for some electoral fun for us media types and those involved enough to care. ASM reformers seem most excited about this aspect, certain that the president is an appropriate way to increase both visibility of ASM, and involvement of students. I concur.

However, we don’t have the best track record when it comes to student involvement on a local level. According to the Badger Herald, Tuesday’s City Council elections saw a mere 531 voters in the student heavy 8th District. Also according to the Herald, the Memorial Union Library polling place saw 127 voters. By contrast, last fall’s presidential election saw 1,025 voters at the same polling place.

The turnout history of ASM elections paints an equally grim picture. Turnout in the past two spring elections, a far more accurate barometer of student interest in ASM than fall elections, was 8.94 percent and 7.3 president of campus in 2007 and 2008 respectively. If less than 10 percent of the people in America decided who was president of our nation, it would be an incredible affront to democracy. But in an ASM election, it’s the status quo.

If this constitution passes with less than 10 percent of the student body involved, the constitution has no legitimacy, and its opponents should make sure to remind reformers of that.

The constitution students have an opportunity to vote on Monday and Tuesday, goes a long way in addressing many of the critiques raised about ASM’s shortcomings. Its structure will be far more responsive to student needs and issues. The Presidential structure will certainly allow for greater visibility, a figurehead to champion ASM’s legitimacy. And ASM needs legitimacy — its obscurity is one of its largest impediments. The protections it affords the financial branches of ASM — arguably its most important and powerful, are well placed.

But its largest failing is that it places an unprecedented trust in the masses of students who simply do not care about its efforts, are barely aware of its existence, and are too concerned about their own problems to spend a few minutes to fix the many that plague ASM.

If the reform of accountability and action embodied in this constitution is to succeed students must become involved on a level they have not before. They must, for starters, vote in the elections. They must hold a powerful executive accountable. They must demand action from their elected senators, whose responsibilities and powers will also be increased. Students are being asked to take a greater interest and assume a larger responsibility for their student government.

And if past is prologue, it is apparent what our response will be.

Gerald Cox ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in economics.