Voting: a civic duty

Dear Students,

As the Dean of Students and as the student-run Vote 2008 Coalition, we would like to encourage everyone to go out and vote this Election Day, Nov. 4. Here are a couple of quick points about voting:

As you are aware, voting is an important right and a civic responsibility. Voting matters because you pay tuition and taxes; it matters because of the environment, the economy, and health care. It doesn’t matter who you vote for — just vote.

1. Polling locations are open from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m.

2. If you pre-registered, you can check your registration at vpa.wi.gov. If you have pre-registered, you do not need to bring proof of residence.

3. If you have not pre-registered, you do need to bring proof of residence; acceptable documents are listed on the Madison City Clerk website at www.cityofmadison.com/election.

For years, politicians and pundits have berated the youth demographic for not going to the polls and voting. In the past few election cycles, the youth demographic has begun to prove that things are changing. In the 2004 election, youth voter turnout across the United States rose by 11 percentage points, more than any other demographic’s increase in the country. This year the city of Madison is expecting record turnout, and we encourage each one of you to be part of this historic election.

Sincerely,

Lori M. Berquam

Dean of Students

Matthew Wendt

Vote 2008 Coalition Chair