Local elections offer genuine chances to protect university

“Make sure to register to vote. This is your opportunity to shape the country in which we live.”

I hear this mantra every time I walk out of class. I can barely manage to escape from the Union without being given an opportunity to register to vote. While I understand the importance of high voter turnout, I am perpetually frustrated by the tenor of discourse around voting. During my five years on this campus, I have come to the realization that widespread political engagement on campus is similar to the life of a cicada. Political engagement seems to lay dormant for four years until it emerges from the ground and encompasses the entire campus.

I understand that the presidential election is important. We are selecting the leader of the free world, and the decision facing us is very difficult. Do we pick the candidate who will single-handedly reform the entire federal government, or the one who can — by simply smiling — restore America’s standing in the world?

Still, it all seems a little myopic. While we all remain transfixed on our messianic national leaders, we have forgotten about the people who have the largest impact on our lives. The failure of college students to engage in local and state politics leads to a lack of input on the decisions that have the most bearing on our lives.

On average, we interact with county government more than any other level. The county runs the courts and jail, health and human services, parks, forests and the sheriff’s office. However, the total voter turnout in April for the District 5 County Board race was 460. These same precincts recorded a total 7,706 votes in the last presidential election. The voter turnout for the presidential election was 17 times larger than for County Board. That is pathetic.

Granted, the candidates for county board were rather uninspiring. I don’t imagine the Kohl Center filling up any time soon with people excited to get a glimpse of Wyndham Manning. However, the dearth of any interest in local politics may help explain the lackluster selection of leaders stepping up.

This is the season for political involvement. This November, flex your political muscle and make your voice heard. From what I can tell, the big election this fall is going to be for control of the state Assembly. The stakes are massive in this race. The decisions about the composition of the Assembly will have a substantial impact on the future of the University of Wisconsin System.

As a public university system, the University of Wisconsin receives significant support from General Purpose Revenue in the state budget. However, state support has been in a consistent downslide for decades. A recent report by the Wisconsin Taxpayers Alliance found that Wisconsin ranked 49th in the nation for increased support for higher education over the last five years. State funding for higher education also lagged significantly behind the rate of inflation. The only state with a worse record than Wisconsin is Michigan. At least Michigan wins Big Ten football games.

The precipitous decline in state support for the university has an immediate impact on the quality of your life. If the state Legislature is allowed to continue on their rampage of destruction, UW will struggle even more to provide a quality education at a price affordable to working families. Additionally, the deterioration of public education carries broader implications for the state. In the 21st century knowledge economy, a strong university system functions as a motor for economic growth.

This November, vote for change. Cast your vote for a candidate that will work to rebuild the stature of our university system. Tell your friends and family to likewise support pro-education candidates. Regardless of who takes the White House, this is the year we can take back our university.

Alex Gallagher ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in history.