Sex education tight-lipped: Students fail ‘oral’ examination

Despite the provocative images conveyed by our pop culture, we still struggle to openly and honestly talk about sex in America. This is especially true when it comes to education. Inherently indoctrinated with the idea that premarital sex is "bad," safe-sex education has persistently failed the youth of this country. Restrained by naive idealism, social conservatism and the underlying religious pressures that have made such topics taboo, we struggle to have honest and open dialogues about sexual health with young people to inform them about the dangers of acting irresponsibly.

Meanwhile, the United States continues to tout one of the highest rates of unintended pregnancy in the industrialized world, with nearly 3 million cases every year. In addition, the Center for Disease Control estimates that nearly 19 million sexually transmitted infections are contracted annually, half of which occur in Americans between the ages of 15-24.

But instead of focusing on proven remedies to these problems, many educators are more concerned with adhering to the "social mores" of their communities — even if it requires a clear break from rationality. Last week, the school board of Elmbrook, Wis., killed a plan requiring that oral sex be included in safe-sex education for sixth- and seventh-grade students. They are not alone: According to an article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel last week, a recent and informal sampling of the area revealed that many districts around the state — including Cudahy, Greenfield, New Berlin, Waukesha, Grafton, Wauwatosa, and West Bend — omit oral sex and its potential consequences from middle school "Growth and Development" curriculums.

This comes at a time when glaring evidence highlights the need to educate teens on oral sex –including warnings from police in various communities that middle schoolers are engaging in it. An investigation in Cedarburg revealed that seventh-graders were passing along sexually explicit chats via instant messages, unbeknownst to their parents. School administrators in various districts became alarmed when reports showed that their students did not believe oral sex even counted as "sex."

Such confusion is not purely a local problem. Past studies by the Kaiser Family Foundation discovered that young people throughout the nation are gravely misinformed about the risks of unprotected sex. Though 75 percent of sexually active adolescents engage in oral sex, one-fifth of them are unaware that they can contract STIs through it. Some of this ignorance stems from findings that, in general, young people are reluctant to discuss their sexual health with partners, parents or health providers — representing an egregious error in how our society frames the topic of sex. Influenced by an array of channels growing up — family, school, religion –adolescents are led to believe one, cold truth: Sex is bad, and engaging in it means that you are bad.

This negative framing ensures that the only safe-sex approach consistent with a community's moral fiber is abstinence. Unfortunately, it has been revealed that using the "just say no" method as a concrete health strategy has not only been ineffective, but damaging because it often skews facts to scare students into abstaining, while failing to provide valuable information on contraception use. Even if abstinence had a proven track record, it cannot succeed if the information being presented is erroneous or leaves out valuable elements. Just as condoms are only 97 percent effective if used correctly, abstinence is only 100 percent effective if teens are given complete and accurate information about what constitutes "sexual activity."

Including definitions of "blowjob" in safe-sex education curriculums is crucial for informing adolescents that oral sex bears some of the same health risks as unprotected intercourse. But for middle schoolers, this inclusion is not just a health concern — it's a legal one. Under state law, oral sex is considered "sexual contact," which, regardless of consent, is illegal for minors in Wisconsin. This is where the failure of districts to broach the subject crosses the line from irresponsible to negligible. If students are beginning to explore their physical desires at a younger age, schools need to respond by educating them at that age, not waiting until they reach high school.

In our society, we shouldn't need programs called "Sex Out Loud" to get us to openly and honestly discuss all aspects of sexual health and the various ways in which people can engage in it safely. Ironically, the repercussions of sexual activity are perpetuated by the idea that the topic is taboo — that we should be embarrassed or ashamed to bring it up. But there is nothing wrong with sex. If done responsibly, it is a healthy exercise vital to any good relationship — something to which I'm sure many readers of this column can attest — and we cannot be afraid to talk about it.

Adam Lichtenheld ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in political science and African studies.