WHO owes Indonesia bird flu protection

Since the first confirmed cases of human infection from avian influenza in 1997, scientists have been closely monitoring the virus out of fear that it will cause a pandemic. Some people initially believed the avian flu did not deserve the attention it was receiving because the virus does not tend to infect humans, and when it does, it is the result of humans dealing with infected poultry. Due to its ability to evolve, however, the virus is still tracked by experts who worry it will develop the ability to easily spread among humans.

By working with samples of the virus sent from Southeast Asia — where most cases have been reported — scientists have been trying to create vaccines for the future possibility of an avian flu pandemic. According to the World Health Organization, the virus has thus far been fatal in 166 of the 272 reported infections. These alarming numbers show the virus' mutation could potentially be very dangerous to the world. After WHO reported evidence of human-to-human transmission in Indonesia in June 2006, worries increased that a pandemic would become a reality.

As a result, scientists and experts are feeling more pressure to develop a vaccine by using samples of the virus. Late last year, Indonesia decided to stop sending WHO samples. Indonesia currently has the highest rate of infection with 81 infections and 63 deaths. Without the cooperation of Indonesia, scientists do not currently have enough virus samples to create effective vaccinations.

Indonesians recognize they need a vaccine and they should help to develop one, and yet this is exactly the reason they have stopped sending samples. Generally, there is a limited supply of flu vaccines produced and these vaccines tend to be very costly. For the many poor inhabitants of Indonesia, getting the avian flu vaccine could be extremely difficult if the country does not take some action.

WHO argues it is irrational for Indonesia to withhold samples because they are the only ones truly affected by the virus right now.

If Indonesia will most likely not benefit from the vaccine, however, it does not seem crazy for them to see their contributions as fruitless. Without some guarantee of actually receiving the vaccine, the people of Indonesia are not likely to profit from its formulation, so they could be in the same situation whether they send the samples or not.

Since they are the key contributors of samples to WHO, there is no reason why the inhabitants of Indonesia should not be reserved a set amount of the vaccine at an affordable rate when it is developed. At present, WHO needs Indonesian samples to continue formulating a possible vaccine.

The people of Indonesia know how important they are in the development of a vaccine and they think it's only fair they receive some sort of compensation for their contributions. Normally, countries send samples of viruses into the WHO free of charge, but in this case, Indonesia holds some bargaining power because it is the only large supplier of samples, so it is not ludicrous to think that they should be given some recompense for their help. Without it, they will probably be the most affected by the looming pandemic.

Gabbie Wade ([email protected]) is a freshman intending to major in journalism.