Fresh chance for Bush

Last week, while the Baker Commission finalized its recommendations, President Bush assured Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Malaki that he was not looking for a "graceful exit" from Iraq. While this assertion is consistent with Bush's style, one has to wonder if the commission's report will force him to go back on his word.

Throughout the Bush presidency, America and the world have watched White House officials conduct their domestic and international affairs in a way that could hardly be called graceful. Emboldened by the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, Bush's "with us or against us" style dominated his first term. He publicly denounced the "Axis of Evil" during his State of the Union address. He appointed a gruff, no-nonsense John Bolton to the U.N. ambassadorship. He trampled international reservation and invaded Iraq. More recently, he refused conversation with North Korea and Iran, preferring to glare across the globe rather than negotiate across a table.

This political style seemed appropriate at first. In fact, it had received the subtle endorsement of another influential commission — the 9/11 Commission — whose report condoned more thorough and aggressive action on the part of the U.S. government to thwart terror. It recommended strengthening defense, broadening executive control and centralizing command — all of which have come to characterize the current administration's style. So, for the past half decade, America has watched as Bush and his gang stomped heavily and brandished big sticks.

The problem is that this style of cowboy politics seems to have failed — miserably. Bolton has been fired. Iran and North Korea are bolder and better armed today than they've ever been, and Iraq has fallen to pieces. Despite his most hardheaded efforts, Bush has failed to make the United States stronger and safer. With an oppositional Congress in waiting, and a disillusioned public growing louder, Bush turned once again to a commission for guidance. This time, however, its findings were far from complementary to Bush's strong-arm style.

The Baker Commission's report is instead a study in moderation and compromise. It recommends gradually scaling back the number of troops in Iraq. It encourages the administration to abandon ultimatums and instead subtly signal that the American presence will not continue indefinitely. The report said it is time for the United States to slowly transfer power and responsibility to the Iraqi government. It also advocated increased use of diplomatic solutions — including engaging Syria and Iran in cooperation and compromise. Finally, the commission recommended that the U.N. Security Council assume a predominant role in dealing with Middle East conflicts.

In short, the commission recommends softening, scaling back and relinquishing control. It seems to have authored in weeks what Democrats could not pull together in months — a comprehensive plan to ease out of Iraq. Gracefully.

It will be difficult for Bush to ignore these recommendations and even harder to defy them. Despite what Bush may have told al-Malaki last week, the commission's bi-partisan status and high-profile members command respect and deference. It is hard to imagine that the administration will find a way to discount recommendations from a group that consists of former secretaries of state and defense, a Supreme Court justice, a retired chief of staff and several distinguished Congressmen.

So while Bush may have sworn to stay the course and avoid "graceful exits," the release of the commission's report may be an impetus for significant changes in policy and direction, and for a new leadership style.

Bush has not been graceful in the past. Thankfully, the commission has presented him with the opportunity to make over his style and even salvage his legacy. Should he act wisely and adopt the commission's recommendations, Bush can show that at the right moment, even the cowboy from Texas can demonstrate grace under fire.

Sarah Howard ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism and political science.