’08 hopefuls test political climate

Now that the mid-term election is over and Democrats took the House of Representatives and the Senate, the steps for the presidential election are in progress. After this voting season, we must wonder what, exactly, we are voting on. Is it the candidate? Is it the party? Is it the issues? Or is it one factor: the war in Iraq?

Since the Democrats now have control of both houses, the 2008 presidential race is even more exciting and important because neither party has an incumbent president or vice president in the race. Following the Bush presidency and the 2006 election results, it is unlikely that a very conservative Republican will be elected for the next term. If Republicans want to keep any control in the White House, they will nominate a more moderate Republican who will appease as many people as possible and make better decisions for the United States.

Though the list is long, and Wisconsinites may be disappointed that Sen. Russ Feingold does not intend to run for president, there are other favorable candidates on both sides. The Democratic Party has prospects in Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, while the Republican Party has John McCain and Rudy Giuliani.

Sen. John McCain is a strong candidate whose experience in the Senate, sponsorship of lobbying and campaign finance reform initiatives, 2000 presidential campaign and appeal to independent voters are positive characteristics. But his age and support of the Bush administration may make it difficult for people from different ideologies to vote for him.

Rudy Giuliani, on the other hand, may be easy to look past at first glance because of his lack of experience in national government, but he is a major contender for the job. If any former mayor is prepared to be the president of the United States, it's Mr. Giuliani. His calm in the emergency response to the Sept. 11 tragedies, as well as his track record of success in reducing crime and improving the economy in New York City from 1993 to 2001, make him a favorable candidate for Republicans. His moderate views on gun control, gay marriage and abortion make him a favorable candidate for others as well.

Although it may seem too early to worry about an election two full years away, prospective candidates need that time to raise campaign money. Michael E. Toner, chairman of the Federal Election Commission, estimated that candidates will need to raise at least $100 million by the end of 2007.

The money that is raised is put into an organization that is carefully scrutinized as soon as a candidate fills out initial paperwork for exploring a presidential bid. They must follow the same contribution and spending limits as declared candidates, and if they decide to run, their detailed budget will be considered under federal law. Their expenses are limited in some senses: Although they may pay for polling, phone calls, travel, consultants, office space, etc., they may not raise more money than necessary or use public advertising to announce their plans, refer to themselves as candidates or campaign for office. Once formal paperwork is filed with the Federal Election Commission, they are required to submit monthly fundraising reports and are on their way to receive a bid.

Despite the Bush administration's faults, the public must look past the war in Iraq and see the positives, and with great candidates already taking the first steps for a presidential bid, this shouldn't be hard to do. It is clear after the 2006 mid-term elections that citizens are not ready to vote for a far left or far right candidate, they are looking for someone in the middle of the road. As potential candidates prepare, Republicans must look for a candidate who can ensure that the mistakes of this term do not affect voters in the next election and guarantee another loss for Republicans.

Joelle Parks ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism and Spanish.