Thanksgiving break necessary to experience American culture

Take a big sigh of relief: The elections are over. We can finally enjoy watching TV again without listening to constantly repeated political misinformation given in 30-second snippets. And we can finally concentrate on a lighter aspect of our American lives — Thanksgiving.

There is at least one article in the Herald every year about the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Writers either harp on the downsides of having to go to class on the Wednesday before, complain about having to come back to school after the weekend or look at the holiday with hope and anticipation.

It is absurd that we are required to attend class on the busiest travel day of the year, when most students should — and probably will — be heading home. It is a burden to come back to class overindulged and not having done your assignments. And, it is an important, long weekend break for what can, at times, feel like an endless semester. No matter what the angle is, Thanksgiving weekend is important to any college student — freshman or super-senior, graduate or undergraduate, Sconnie or Coastie, American or foreign.

Thanksgiving is the most American day of the year. Most enjoy a day of relaxation with family or friends, discuss — or vehemently argue about — the recent election, overeat delicious home cooking, watch the Lions and Cowboys, and plan Christmas and New Year's. Thanksgiving is an opportune time to ignore and forget all the new things that you have been blasted with this semester. Take a step back and enjoy the weekend for what it is, eat some tasty food and reflect on what your experience here at the University of Wisconsin is really about.

Though giving thanks for the autumn harvest is a longstanding European tradition, America has embraced it and infused in it as many Americanisms as possible. Thanksgiving celebrates the first immigrants of a country comprised of 99.9 percent immigrants. The holiday welcomes overindulgence on a scale that even the most sloth of this slothish country can appreciate. And the most important events of the day are a parade sponsored by a corporation featuring characters and themes from other corporations and two football games where John Madden indulges in rambling about nothing and eating huge turkey legs. Some may think this list of Thanksgiving Day traits gives a negative depiction of America or that the list is un-American. But Thanksgiving is the best and most enjoyable holiday of the year, and the list above features some of the aspects of America that truly make this country great, whether you realize it or not. This holiday is about bringing Americans together and giving thanks for what we are and what we have.

This makes the Thanksgiving holiday weekend a huge date on the college calendar. For freshmen and some others, it will be the first time they will visit family and friends back home since venturing to Madison. The weekend will be the first opportunity to reflect on the choice to come to UW and to plan for the coming years. For others, Thanksgiving is an appreciated annual break to catch up with old friends and reminisce about times far gone. Some students will treat Thanksgiving as a lonely weekend spent wondering why they did not or could not go home. But staying on campus can also be a huge plus. Thanksgiving can turn into extra study time, a free weekend to get to know a new girlfriend or boyfriend better, or an opportunity to get more involved with the Madison community. Some students do stay and spend their time contributing to their newfound home. And for others, Thanksgiving will be an opportunity to experience some of American culture at its best. They will probably be missing their homes and envying the opportunity to visit family, but they can still enjoy Thanksgiving for what it is.

Whatever you do, and whatever type of student you are, it doesn't matter. We are all finally getting a break from politics and studying, and finally getting to concentrate on a better side of this country and its culture.

David Van Sant ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in history, German and comparative literature.