Public TV rejects Greens

On paper, the Wisconsin Public Television's political coverage looked like an ideal addition to this campaign season. In early September, WPT announced it had invited candidates from the state's major races to address the public in an "unfiltered, unedited and direct manner." A press release honored WPT's nearly decade-long tradition of carrying such coverage, which has presumably helped voters make more informed decisions each November.

Unfortunately, in practice this year, WPT's coverage will be incomplete and insufficient, and therefore fail to carry on the station's laudable tradition.

This Friday, WPT will present Democratic Senator Herb Kohl and his Republican challenger Robert Lorge in the promised unfiltered, unedited and direct matter. Conspicuously absent from the table, however, will be Green Party candidate Rae Vogeler. Vogeler was not invited to the event, and she is justifiably not happy about it.

Trying to explain its decision to exclude Vogeler, WPT has insisted that the event is not a debate, as the candidates are both filmed sitting. Apparently, the Vogeler campaign missed the memo about correct debate posture, or maybe WPT did not invite Vogeler to that meeting either.

Yet, regardless of whether the candidates sit or stand, WPT's attempt to downplay the magnitude of Friday's debate is strange and just plain wrong.

The truth is, this is not just an informal conversation between candidates. Friday night's program is the only one where Senate candidates are scheduled to appear jointly and talk about issues affecting the state and country at large. It is obviously important therefore, that all parties, sides and views are present so that the public can witness a full-scale airing of issues.

And it is especially important for voters here on the University of Wisconsin campus. Compared to the other major races, the one for U.S. Senate is taking place largely below the campus political radar. Has anyone been to a Kohl rally? Why isn't Lorge's name glaring up from Bascom Hill's pavement in bright green chalk?

At first I thought the cutthroat gubernatorial race could be blamed for dominating the spotlight, leaving the U.S. Senate campaigns stuck in the shadows. But the marked visibility of the Congressional race between Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., and challenger Dave Magnum shows that is not the case.

A friend of mine has suggested that Kohl and Lorge's political personalities are not as compelling or intriguing as those in other races. While I think that assessment has some merit, I am sure the lack of public appearances and media events have also contributed to the Senate race's invisibility. It is much easier to get fired up about a candidate and his or her opponent when they're visible, audible and opinionated. And that happens best when a campaign takes advantage of media outlets.

So far, the amount of attention this race has received is disproportionate to its importance. It is unacceptable that a race for U.S. Senate — the highly influential upper house of our democratic system — should occur with so little campaign substance.

That's why WPT should have included Rae Vogeler in its coverage. Third party candidates may not win elections, but they do stir them up, raising questions and the level of debate in each race. They challenge incumbents from a more extreme angle, forcing them to clarify current positions and defend past ones. A look west to Minnesota's gubernatorial race provides all the evidence needed to substantiate this view.

There, Minnesota Public Radio carried numerous addresses from not two, not three, but four major candidates for governor. Whether Democrat, Republican, Green or Independent, each was given equal access to the microphone at appearances throughout the summer. Each aspect of the Minnesota campaigns has been more robust and, some would say, more competitive as a result.

Coverage like Minnesota's is immeasurably important during the election season. In this era of highly structured, focus group-approved, demographically designed campaign messages, the public needs the unfiltered access WPT had promised. Unfortunately while WPT's coverage plan was right on the money, its stingy invitation process was self-defeating. By excluding Vogeler from the debate, WPT did what no public organization should: played favorites and did a disservice to Wisconsin voters.

There is still time to remedy that mistake. With almost a month remaining before Election Day, WPT could extend a more inclusive invitation for another debate. Vogeler's presence there would be a welcome addition to the Senate race that has barely registered on our political radar these past weeks. It would give voters one more opportunity to evaluate the candidates who could be their voice in Washington's most exclusive club for the next six years — a choice they, the candidates and WPT should not take lightly.

Sarah Howard ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism and political science.