GOP unlikely to repeat in 06′

At this point, I wouldn't even have a doubt if I heard that Republicans had engineered a flying pig, and — still — I don't think they can save themselves this time.

There are fears, however, that the GOP is just waiting to unveil some secret weapon, some last-minute scheme — the capture of a wanted terrorist, or a dirty political smear, or the giveaway of free miniature flags for everyone, perhaps — to save its legislative seats in an upcoming election expected to yield the Democrats major Congressional gains. And, as evidenced by President Bush's recent "commemorative" speech that ended up sounding more like a campaign stump than a tribute to the victims of Sept. 11, 2001, it looks like Republicans are reaching into the same old bag of shameless tricks.

But, even given my political pessimism, I just don't see it happening this time. Sure, 2004 saw perhaps the most brilliant political feat in history, as conservative strategists found a way to turn every weakness into a strength for George Bush and vice versa for John Kerry, but try and think back to that time period. Shouting matches could be seen on the streets, people were campaigning as if their own lives were at stake, and old friends were turned into bitter enemies over petty politics.

Fast forward to the present.

Nobody can deny the genius of Karl Rove's 2004 victory strategy: capitalizing on people's emotions with rhetoric and fear tactics and securing the votes of only enough enthusiastic supporters necessary to squeak out a victory. But the electorate, then swayed by the — however hollow — grandiose and powerful rallying cry of the Bush camp, is now jaded and left with little hope, having seen the abysmal results of its last decision at the polls. The very political divisiveness that polarized Americans two years ago has now fatigued them to the point of apathy or discouragement with the status quo in Washington.

The post 9/11 veil of effective political rhetoric capitalizing on fear — although not yet fully-removed — has receded substantially since the president's re-election, revealing the ugly sight of real problems left unaddressed during a time when many Americans allowed nationalistic sensationalism to override their own common sense. While regular folks up in a place like Waukesha were screaming at their Kerry-voting neighbors, trying to convince them that the local Wal-Mart was on al-Qaida's hit list, they forgot about some problems faced by the United States.

They forgot about healthcare, education, the economy, a viable plan to get out of Iraq, the national debt, the future of social security, the nation's preparedness for natural disasters, the country's dependency on foreign oil, poverty, the affordability of college, the protection of civil liberties, the need for scientific progress, the safety of American servicemen, global warming, the future of the environment and America's ability to compete in an increasingly connected world.

They forgot about some pretty important things.

Slowly, however, the cloud of smoke that has hovered over American politics since that fateful day five years ago is dissipating. People are beginning to realize once again that the responsibilities of their elected officials far exceed the single issue touted in many of said officials' one-dimensional campaigns. People are beginning to see just how negatively their lives can be affected when they vote according to emotion rather than logic. People are getting fed up with the direction of this country, and they're hungry for change.

No, I just don't see it happening this time. There's just no way the Republicans can pull this one off.

That is, unless the Democrats screw it up.

Rob Rossmeissl ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism and political science.