Crime and ticket revocation

In an attempt to clean up the university's image, the UW Athletic Department is reviewing a proposal that could take away season tickets from unruly fans. We applaud this effort to ensure an enjoyable atmosphere for all fans.

Revoking ticket privileges from those who prove themselves utterly incapable of controlling themselves at Badger games should result in a better time had by all. Individuals who throw glass bottles into the crowd, hurl belligerent threats at 5-year-olds or turn the student section into their own personal vomitorium have no place at any sporting event.

In most cases, the policy would give such troublemakers a written warning upon their first offense, and take away tickets only if the student continues to act in such a manner. This way an isolated incident brought on by a momentary lapse in judgment would not punish a student for an entire year.

To be sure, drinking the morning of a football game is as much a tradition at UW as football itself, and students certainly should not be punished for enjoying a few spirits before they walk under the gates at Camp Randall or through the ticket window at the Kohl Center. And those fans who are not an extreme nuisance to those standing around them should have nothing to fear, as the standard for what is acceptable and what is not should not change as a result of the new policy.

While we support the policy as written, this board certainly hopes students remain free to yell all the profanities imaginable at the opposing team or the referees. The spirit of the student section — which does not include urinating in public or behavior of a similar magnitude — is what makes attending sporting events such a unique experience at UW, and this tradition must be respected.

A clear line needs to be drawn between those who yell at a Minnesota fan and those who throw glass bottles at the unsuspecting Gopher. Pointing out that an individual wearing gold and maroon is an asshole is perfectly acceptable behavior, but punching them in the face is not.

The proposed policy should prove to be a large asset to the community as long as it only strips away ticket privileges from those who put their neighbors’ safety — or desire to wear vomit-free clothing — in jeopardy. After all, hearing 80 percent of the student audience express the true feelings of section O is perhaps the most entertaining event to witness this side of the Atlantic.