Adieu from the editorial page editor

I remember commenting last spring, shortly after Mac offered me this position, that this would be one of the slowest, least stressful periods for the editorial page. Coming off an election year and with no particularly contentious issues looming, I thought that it would be the calm after the storm.

I was wrong.

Who would have thought that the semester would begin with scandal, cover-up and nearly unanimous outrage from the state house? Who would have guessed that a number of free speech issues, my particular interest, would have cropped up so close to home? A mayoral recall attempt, two new Supreme Court justices and an ill-advised referendum added fuel to the fire. All along the backdrop of ever-present bungling that seems to define our peculiar institution — the segregated-fee system.

Of course, my wonderful writers wove their own fresh and often unique perspectives into the editorial page tapestry. I've been gifted to guide some amazing and talented people, from a wide range of backgrounds and ideological stances, through a semester of public scrutiny.

There have been some joys, such as columns being picked up nationally and notes of congratulations from esteemed figures, as well as more than a few sorrows. Too often I've seen writers concerned over hate mail or valuable debate devolve into name-calling. But we grow, we get thicker skins and we learn how to silence even our harshest critics.

And as a member of the editorial board, I have been gifted to help shape the public opinion of the paper, provoking more than our fair share of outrage among ideologues of all stripes. In what other job will I be drunkenly accosted on a weeknight by the latest target of the editorial board's tongue?

Now I leave the stewardship of this page and, along with our graduating writers, turn my attention to a different life, a different direction. Tomorrow is left to someone else, and I only hope that others will experience the unique life that is collegiate (yellow) journalism.

Charles Parsons ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in literature.