Day of student protest fast approaching

The reputation of UW-Madison has been one filled with such words as liberal, activist and progressive. It has continued to bear this reputation since its opening back in 1848, with probably its most prominent era during the Vietnam War. In 1968, the Madison campus was filled with protesting students who opposed the war and the reasoning behind it. In 1969, this paper was actually founded to be an alternative voice on campus during the struggles of the Vietnam controversies. In addition, Oct. 15 and Nov. 15 were dubbed national protest days, and massive student protesting filled the city.

With this type of strong active background, it comes into question whether students of Madison today still uphold the strong and willful voices that filled Library Mall nearly 36 years ago. Yes, there have been booths set up in regard to the war, and scattered among State Street are volunteers asking for signatures from student bystanders, but does this really compare to what our parents were doing on the same campus? Right now in history, we are running parallel to an event that will never be forgotten by those who live through it. The Vietnam War and the Iraq War share vast similarities, especially those dealing with controversy between groups, but the same cannot be said for the students experiencing it. In 1969, the streets and sidewalks were filled with angry faces voicing their thoughts and opinions on the war at hand; today, the streets and sidewalks bear no such resemblance.

One public figure that strongly urges the reappearance of student progressiveness is John Podesta. Former assistant to Bill Clinton and president of Center for American Progress, Mr. Podesta graced students with a speech on what it means to be a progressive Monday, Oct. 10, in the Humanities building. He also made the comparison that students have as big an impact on this century as those in the past, and students are the most promising source to give back the moral voice to America and remind the nation what democracy is all about.

The war in Iraq has affected nearly every student. Whether they know family or friends who are fighting, most in some way have a connection overseas. This should be the starting ground students step on to get their voices heard. With Oct. 15 quickly approaching, Madison students should be preparing to make their voices heard by the campus, the media and even officials. The parallel with the Vietnam protests shouldn't end with just the fact that it's the same campus. Students should strive to continue the reputation this school has slowly but surely built for itself, and they should set a newer and stronger example for future undergrads to look back to when their time comes.

The amazing thing about this campus is that it is never shy for an opportunity. Whether through protests, concerts, fairs or fundraisers, Madison has held her own for being notoriously known as the liberal campus where everyone has a chance to speak out. It's a shame that slowly this distinguished reputation is facing its demise. Without a repeat of the courageous students from years ago, there is no backbone for the voices that are being sheltered today. We are amid another controversial period in history, and we are lucky enough to be college students — one of the most influential protesting groups — during it. Let us take advantage of it while it is being thrown into Madison's lap. After watching the Badger football game Oct. 15, head out toward Library Mall or State Street and recreate the amazing protests of those students during Vietnam. Who knows? Maybe one day in the future, students will look back to the Iraq War era and once again continue the reputation that Madison has proudly worn on her sleeve.

Estie Kruglak ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in communication arts.