Reflections on ‘real world’

I’ll be leaving these pages soon, and I have to tell you, I’m going to miss it.

For nearly five years now I’ve been writing for the Badger Herald in some capacity. Whether it was tearing “Cruel Intentions” a new one as a movie critic or writing opinion for the last two and a half years, I’ve really enjoyed being a part of the Badger Herald family. As conservative as this paper’s reputation is, I’ve found its opinion editors to be universally supportive of dissenting voices. I’ve been proud to write for this paper, and proud of the Badger Herald’s independent stature for a long time.

As I leave and go join the “real world,” I’d like to reflect on what sort of messages I’ve been imparting as an opinion columnist.

First, the “real world,” as many alumni will refer to it, is only as real as you want it to be. Do not ever let anyone older than you fool you into thinking a few years in the work place makes you older, wiser or more versed in the ways of the world. Sure, experience is helpful, but your youthful idealism and ability to think for yourself are not replaced with something “better” once you get a job.

Second, most jobs suck. If you’re lucky enough to do something you like, cherish it. If not (as the majority of you will not), then make sure you do something that makes your time feel worthwhile. Volunteer for something, create something, make things around you better; do anything besides earn a wage, go home, turn on TV and tune out.

Third, your elders are worth your respect, until they’re not. As I’m getting on a bit (closer to 30 than my 21st birthday by a long shot) I’ve realized that most of the “adults” in my world are as big of jackasses as I can be. And when I hear the pontificating of people in authority, either on the left or the right, I realize that age makes no difference in terms of authority. If you only listened to your betters, you’d be deaf, because just about everyone thinks they’re better than you anyway.

If only I could publish the exchange I got in with David Limbaugh … ha! His sanctimonious, patronizing email to me was priceless and a lesson learned that just because someone is older, makes more money or has a national column doesn’t mean that they deserve an ounce of respect.

Fourth, care about others. This is a tough one. America hates caring. We only want the easy fix and think that taking care of ourselves will inevitably lead to taking care of others (that’s called market-based compassion).

This simply doesn’t work, but it’s sold to you every day by the right. It doesn’t work because for evil to prevail, all it takes is for good people to do nothing. I’m paraphrasing there, but anyone who tells you the world can be made a better place without effort is lying.

Self-sacrifice, even if it’s in the pocketbook, is part and parcel of making things better. Whether it’s your time, your money, your knowledge or your effort, if you want the world to improve, you can’t do it from your couch (unless you donate a lot of money from there).

I’ve tried to make it clear in column after column that change is part of improving the American landscape. Those who want stasis, complacency and the “same-old same-old” have no vision, or fear progress. I don’t fear progress, only regress. This country has come a long way in the last 50 years, and I’d hate to see a backslide.

Unfortunately, I see one coming if members of our generation aren’t on their toes.

Fear dominates so many discussions in politics today. Fear of outsiders (terrorists, immigrants, Asian birds), fear of insiders (lobbyists, political handlers) and fear of fear itself all does us a bad turn.

Fear not, young America. We’ve got the smarts, the tools and the ability to make change. Let’s show them what we’re made of.

Rob Deters ([email protected]) is a third year law student.