Greek life can be positive, too

“Going Greek” is a term that has been stigmatized over the years through word-of-mouth, personal experiences, movies such as “Animal House” and the media. For some, it is a great experience, one that has been able to enrich and further a college students’ life on campus. For others, it represents a subject and realm of social events that one chooses to stay far away from.

Some people call it “buying your friends,” because of the dues one must pay in order to stay active in a Greek house. Others — including myself — would disagree with that statement. Prior to entering college, I received a piece of advice that I, in turn, have passed on to incoming students: if it’s not necessarily something you’re interested in, at least go through recruitment to see what it’s all about and make an educated decision for yourself. You may just surprise yourself because each house offers something different.

What some fail to see are the academic and philanthropic aspects of joining a sorority or fraternity. Of the 11 sororities on campus, all maintain over a 3.0 GPA and sponsor a charitable cause in which they organize a fundraiser for at least once a year. The Greek system at University of Wisconsin also gives back to the community by holding campus-wide events such as this past weekend’s Humorology, a talent show composed of fraternity and sororities, which raises money for a specific charity each year.

Joining a sorority freshman year, while it seemed a bit cliché to me, was one of the best decisions I have made for myself in terms of meeting people and allowing myself to get involved on campus. It’s not all gossip, partying and petty-things, contrary to popular belief.

Through my sorority, I have been able to hold executive positions in the house and learn how to make educated and responsible decisions. I was able to form friendships and meet new people that I most likely would not have had the opportunity to bond with had I not joined an organization of over 100 women. And being a member of a sorority doesn’t seclude you to only socializing with members of your own house. Events such as Greek Week and other social occasions allow members to interact with each other and possibly open their minds to other people’s beliefs and thoughts.

While I was going through my “Inspriation Week” my freshman year, in which you learn about your house, its purpose and founders, and what it stands for, I was able to meet and learn a great deal about each individual girl in my pledge class. Some of the most interesting and multi-faceted people I would have never been able to really know surprised me to the fullest. Each girl stood for something different and was passionate about diverse aspects of life and her surroundings. Four years later, I still remember and feel a special connection to each one of them.

My dad graduated from college as an active member in a fraternity on his campus. Years later, his fraternity brothers are still his closest friends and they return to campus for football games in the fall. It is a sense of camaraderie that has been passed on year-to-year — another way to remember your college experience.

One of the most important aspects to enjoying college is getting involved on campus, be it through academic or social clubs or whatever you may choose. It’s important to remember that your time here is what you make of it. If the Greek system is for you, revel in it, because it will most likely be an incredible journey.

Lindsay Zuckerman ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism.