A spring break phenomenon

It’s March. You know when it hits 50 degrees and people in Madison start wearing shorts outside, it’s almost time for spring break. In just under two weeks, students from across campus who have worked hard to save money, or simply just paid the money, will be spanning the United States, Mexico and a number of other different countries or continents to celebrate our one-week off from our grueling schedules (for some of us, at least). Internet classes and all.

Walking by tanning salons, the lines are longer than usual. The SERF and other gyms around town are a bit more crowded. Bathing suits are lining the walls of stores on State Street.

One question that I ponder is who started these rituals? While MTV has a lot to do with the pop-culture phenomenon and obsession of some spring breakers, it has, in a sense, toned down since the 90s when most kids couldn’t wait to see what crazy college students were doing.

And since when did a break from school (where some of our parents are paying out-of-state tuition) become another reason to spend (or waste, depending on your view) a large amount of money? Not that I am complaining about spring break, I for one happen to like being in a warm climate and spending time relaxing and having a good time, but the root of the concept I still question. Those who can and are going are lucky to be doing so — because for most it is a privilege to be vacationing with your friends, not a right.

The University of Michigan will resume classes tomorrow after their weeklong hiatus from Ann Arbor. The thing I keep hearing from friends who have friends there is “So, any crazy stories?” “Anything interesting?” “What happened on spring break?” Notice the use of “crazy” and “interesting.”

Why has this week turned into something where people’s inhibitions and morals go down the drain? This may be an over-generalization, but I’m sure for some if you’ve been on spring break, you can attest to some forms of this behavior. Brazen conduct, excessive drinking and partying and even an occasional broken limb or two. Not that this doesn’t go on during the weekends, but those are concentrated cases — a certain person, or a few, stick out amongst the norm and cause a spectacle. Add some sun, alcohol and a bunch of 20-somethings running around in bathing suits and the concentration of “a few” turns into “most.”

I’ve overheard conversations where people are wagering on who will hook-up with who beginning March 18. If you’re not interested in a person at school, why all of the sudden does being in a different environment alter this? It’s not even questioned or viewed as abnormal, it just goes unspoken.

And then there are those who opt for a different option, like a cold weather retreat to go skiing out West. I say good for you for doing what you love most, rather than just going to sit in the sun somewhere because that’s what people think you’re supposed to do. And for those of you heading home or staying at school, it will be nice and quiet — a vacation of your own in a sense. But, for those who are packing up and heading down close to the equator — have the best time, and wear lots of sunscreen, because no one looks good bright red with stark white tan lines.

Lindsay Zuckerman ([email protected]) is a senior majoring in journalism.