Are we too vulgar?

F*ck you. F*ck-this and f*ck-that. This is all one hears while walking to class, watching television, reading and talking to friends.

So it was not surprising when Vice President Dick Cheney recently dropped an f-bomb when speaking to a U.S. Senator. The word is no longer a word used by the trash of America in the privacy of one's home, it is literally used by everyone, everywhere.

The f-word has taken on meanings beyond its original crude context. It can be a verb, a noun and an adjective all at once. Maybe this is why so many people use it in virtually every sentence uttered. Nevertheless, should we be using the word as much as we do?

While the evolution of language is inevitable, the overuse of the word has completely diminished its meaning. One is so desperate to say something nasty that profanity has become more frequent and more horrific than ever before. Vulgarity is used so loosely that often insults fly without intention.

Because the meaning of the f-word, once the gold medal of all swear words, is so mainstream, people have resorted to referencing more disgusting and crude words and phrases to exemplify their opinions and feelings.

It is no longer a big deal to swear in front of authority, and it is more or less expected and accepted. While once an issue of respect, people are now virtually allowed to say any word to anyone, no matter who is around.

The way people converse today, with these words and phrases floating around so nonchalantly, it is hard for one to imagine someone wondering why there is so much hate in the world. Today people compliment each other with phrases that in the past would have gotten them thrown in jail.

The New York Times published the word for the first time in 1998 when quoting Monica Lewinsky. This should be enough information for people to stop saying the f-word: you might sound like Monica Lewinsky.

Shows such as "Sex and the City" made it cool to talk about things and say words that would make a grandmother's head spin. Casual conversation is now peppered with words that used to not be allowed in the dictionary.

Christian groups accuse potty-mouths of being irresponsible and corrupting society, while the potty-mouths themselves cover their faces with a copy of the Constitution to avoid a bar of soap in the mouth.

People call upon the Federal Communications Commission to clean the naughty words and phrases from the media. The job is surely tough as television personalities and writers become bolder and more daring.

The FCC frequently comes under fire for not drawing a clear line between what is acceptable and what is not, sometimes punishing people and sometimes ruling profanity acceptable.

However, it is not the FCC's responsibility to clean the mouths of America. It is not a question of a person's freedom of speech; it is a matter of tact.

Besides the word being classless, it is unnecessary in almost every context. There are thousands of synonyms for the word; people now use it just because they can and never stop to think if they should.

No one wants to live in a world where it is not all right to voice an opinion but no one wants to be called a motherf*cking female dog either.

There is no problem with the f-word when used in the right context; in fact, it is a lot of people's favorite word, but by saying it about ten times less in every sentence one speaks, it might create a more respectful and classy atmosphere and give the meaning and punch back to the word that once was the mother of all cuss words.

So stop f*cking saying the f-word.

Joanna Salmen ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism and Spanish.