Oh Alvarez, you’re so fine

I am about to hear a man speak about the dangers of sports gambling. I am interested, but the real reason for my attendance is to see “him.” He walks in the door and I swear the room lights up. Everyone stops their conversations and whispers travel through the bleachers. My heart starts to beat faster and my palms are sweaty. He and his entourage start moving closer. I try not to stare but I cannot take my eyes off him. Oh my god, I think he saw me. Oh no, he’s coming closer. Of all the seats in the Field House, he sits directly in front of me. I am sure I blushed and most likely giggled, even though I was alone. But I could not help it.

Barry Alvarez is sitting in front of me.

Some may not understand the fascination (it is not an obsession, contrary to popular belief) but his contributions to the university are undeniable. When he was introduced as head football coach in January of 1990, Alvarez told people to get their tickets quickly because soon there would be no good seats left. Alvarez arrived at a time when the pressure to sell football tickets was monstrous. The Athletic Department had recently cut five programs and was over $2 million in debt.

While others sat and pondered what to do about the dire situation, Alvarez took to the streets, speaking at public events, playing in golf tournaments; anything to generate interest in the football program. Fourteen years ago, he was doing nothing short of walking door-to-door attempting to persuade people to buy football tickets. A few seasons later, the football team was playing for sell-out crowds. Today, few will be getting a Homecoming ticket for less than $100.

But is it not just the way he propelled the program to national notoriety. He continues to make the student body proud to have him as a representative of the university. Who wasn’t proud when he came charging onto the field at the end of the Ohio State game, breaking up the scuffle at the 50-yard line? All while Jim Tressel, Ohio State’s head coach, was lost in the shoving match, nearly falling to the ground. He can break up a fight, but I am sure Monday morning he was tending to the business of the Athletic Department.

As one of only two athletic directors to currently serve as head coach at the same time, Alvarez will undoubtedly share his expertise of sports, athletes and how to attract a crowd with the rest of the athletic department. Last year, Alvarez helped create a new, more fair and consistent student athlete discipline policy that is garnering attention from other institutions. In fact, most of what Alvarez does receives national attention. While some large universities beg students to attend football games, even giving students tickets for free, Alvarez has created a fanatic culture famously known around the country. Without him, who knows where the football program would be, or the rest of the athletic department for that matter?

And without him, who would make my heart race?

Joanna Salmen ([email protected]) is a junior majoring in journalism and Spanish.