Church 1, State 0

Ideology and politics are inevitable bedfellows. The beliefs, the moral convictions and the opinions of every administration will inevitably shift and shape its policy decisions.

But earlier this week, a pair of Democratic congressmen balked publicly that the Bush administration’s doctrine is creeping too far into its policy decisions. Reps. Henry Waxman of California and Sherrod Brown of Ohio accused the administration of overzealously advancing its moral agenda and consequently putting people’s health at risk.

Waxman and Brown sent a nasty little letter to the secretary of health and human services, Wisconsin’s own Tommy Thompson. The congressmen sited several examples of policy moves they feel are threatening to health and science and demanded explanations.

Waxman and Brown are right to be concerned. Content dealing with abortions and safe sex has been subtly disappearing from government websites lately.

For example, information on the effectiveness of condoms has recently been removed from the Center for Disease Control website. Also, information showing that abortion does not increase the risk for breast cancer has been removed from the National Institute of Health’s website.

It seems sex is a dirty word to this administration. It has a right to its opinion, but withholding important health information from those who seek it is inexcusable.

Waxman and Brown also questioned the fact that experts serving on advisory committees were being replaced because their views deviate from those of the Office of Health and Human Services. As an example, the congressmen cited a CDC advisory committee that determines safe lead levels for children. On that particular committee, nominations of respected academics were withdrawn to make room for industry consultants. It’s unlikely the HHS has the kids’ best interests in mind on that one.

However, the most disconcerting allegation in the Waxman and Brown letter may be their assertion that the HHS is targeting AIDS advocacy groups by subjecting them to probing audits. In response to these allegations, HHS spokesman Bill Pierce snapped back that Waxman and Brown were just attempting to advance their own liberal agenda. Funny, one would think that concern for the well being of others is a bipartisan agenda.

Pierce then dismissively added that the congressmen should “stop looking for conspiracy theories.” Perhaps Waxman and Brown are waxing Mulder and Scully. But irrefutable evidence is on their side, because the HHS really is auditing several AIDS advocacy groups currently. Even more “coincidental” is the fact that these groups just happen to be among those who dared to heckle Tommy Thompson at a recent international AIDS conference.

When Thompson attempted to speak at the July conference in Barcelona, Spain, protestors drowned him out with chants of “shame, shame.” The retaliation was swift, as 12 conservative members of Congress immediately called for an audit of the groups’ federal funds.

The 12 representatives have publicly expressed disapproval at the lack of religious themes at the International AIDS conference. They openly expressed their disappointment that none of the major speeches or lectures dealt with faith’s role in the crises.

The HHS says that the audit information will be forwarded to Congress, and after that it is unclear what will happen to the AIDS advocacy groups. This all looks an awful lot like a deeply disturbing, not-so-veiled threat for groups to keep their mouths shut if they want to keep getting federal money. Oh, and religious themes are apparently mandatory at conferences now. Those who don’t comply will likely incur the prying wrath of Congress.

Being open and frank about sexuality is also taboo. To prove this point, the CDC recently audited the San Francisco-based Stop AIDS Project.

The CDC was concerned about the advocacy group’s “obscenity standards” as reflected in several prevention campaigns aimed at gay and bisexual men. It’s okay to talk about a sexually transmitted disease as long as you do it in a non-explicit, puritan fashion. Also, try not to actually say the word “sex” anywhere in the literature. You must, however, thoroughly discuss faith’s role. Do all of this and your funding may be secure, at least for now.

There is no way the Bush administration’s religious-right ideology can stay completely clear of its policy-making. But citizens’ rights to information and their freedoms of speech are being compromised. Religion and faith are fine, but they can get dangerous when mixed with politics. A line must be drawn when church begins to devour state.

Kate MacDonald ([email protected]) is a journalism, film and economics student at UW-Milwaukee.