University of Wisconsin students returned to in-person instruction Wednesday.

According to NBC15, 90% of UW classes this semester will be in-person, while the remaining 10% will be fully or partially virtual.

UW expects record enrollment numbers this year, according to NBC15. Final enrollment figures will come out after 10 days of classes, according to UW Director of Media Relations and Strategic Communications Meredith McGlone.

UW welcomes largest freshmen class in its history at in-person convocationEight thousand freshmen took part in the University of Wisconsin convocation last Friday for the annual event that formally welcomes Read…

According to UW News, 88% of students are fully vaccinated and 91% of students have received at least one dose, while faculty vaccination rates are even higher, at 99%. Also, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 3.2% of students in dorms said in a July survey that they planed on getting vaccinated once they reached campus.

UW sophomore Liam Popovsky said he is not worried about COVID-19 while on campus.

“I’m not worried about it,” Popovsky said. “I don’t think it’s going to be an issue amongst the student population.”

According to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, COVID-19 vaccines are extremely effective, but breakthrough cases are still an issue in Wisconsin and across the U.S.

Among the unvaccinated population of Wisconsin, the delta variant has become a major threat, according to AP News. Currently, the number of hospitalizations for COVID-19 is at the highest level since the vaccine became widely available.

UW-Madison announces 90% of campus fully vaccinated despite lack of mandateWith less than a week until classes start, the University of Wisconsin reported nine of out 10 students and employees Read…

Popovsky said he felt shut out from the opportunities he was expecting to have freshman year.

“I feel it would be very unfortunate for these new freshmen to have another year like the last one,” Popovsky said. “It feels like I’m going to real school this year.”

Public Health Madison and Dane County is closely monitoring COVID-19 cases in Madison and the surrounding areas. Health policies are subject to change depending on the spreading of the delta variant.