Clerk’s Office, MPD prepared to tackle Election Day problems

As of 3:30 p.m. 60% of absentee ballots had been processed

Though there are no specific threats of voter intimidation or violence at the polls today, the Madison City Clerk’s Office is prepared to handle any issues should they arise at polling locations.

City Clerk Maribeth Witzel-Behl said workers are monitoring every single polling location both inside and outside, and if there’s anything concerning to voters, they should notify the Chief Inspector, who will address the issue immediately.

“I have heard no reports of any [voter intimidation] today, but if a voter sees anything or has any concerns, we want them to speak up right away,” Witzel-Behl said.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2020/10/26/supreme-court-rules-wisconsin-cannot-accept-absentee-ballots-after-election-day-reversing-a-lower-court-ruling/

Witzel-Behl said during the gubernatorial election in November 2018, the voter turnout was 92.9%, she said she anticipates this year to have a similar turnout.

The Clerk’s Office is anticipating a “really high” turnout today, between the absentee ballots that are being processed and the people who are voting at the polls.

The Clerk’s Office has been tweeting updates throughout the day.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2020/11/02/your-guide-to-voting-on-election-day/

Witzel-Behl said there are no police officers stationed at the polls.

In an email statement to The Badger Herald, Madison Police Department Chief Victor Wahl said MPD will have additional staffing today to respond to any potential problems.

“We’ve had regular protest activity taking place for the last several months, and that’s one Election Day possibility we are preparing for,” Wahl said. “We always provide officers with some pre-Election Day briefing/information, but, given the current climate, our staffing and preparation is greater than prior election years.”

Wahl said MPD is not aware of any information related to protests, threats or other problems related to the election in Madison.

Polling stations are open until 8 p.m. tonight.