COVID-19 Daily Updates: At least 211 confirmed deaths in Wisconsin, 358 confirmed cases in Dane County

Over 4,000 people in Wisconsin have tested positive for COVID-19

The Badger Herald will update this article daily as more COVID-19 information comes out. 

Saturday, April 18.

There have been 4,199 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least 205 deaths in Wisconsin, according to the Department of Health Services.

There are 358 cases and 16 deaths in Dane County and in Milwaukee County there are 2,065 cases and 122 deaths.

Friday, April 17.

There have been 4,045 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least 205 deaths in Wisconsin, according to the Department of Health Services.

There are 357 cases and 16 deaths in Dane County and in Milwaukee County there are 2,013 cases and 120 deaths.

Thursday, April 16.

There have been 3,875 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least 197 deaths in Wisconsin, according to the Department of Health Services.

There are 352 cases and 16 deaths in Dane County and in Milwaukee County there are 1,947 cases and 114 deaths.

Gov. Tony Evers announced an extension on the Safer at Home order, which will now go until May 26. During the extension, some non-essential businesses like golf courses and other community services like libraries can reopen or allow curbside pick-up.

DHS secretary said the Safer at Home order cannot be lifted until they administer more COVID-19 tests and increase public health measures to prevent a second wave of the virus.

Evers extends Safer at Home order until May 26

Wednesday, April 15.

There have been 3,721 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least 182 deaths in Wisconsin, according to the Department of Health Services.

There are 351 cases in Dane County and in Milwaukee County there are 1,870 cases and 105 deaths.

The City of Madison announced in an email newsletter Wednesday that many city buildings will glow blue on Thursday as part of the #LightitBlue campaign to thank frontline crisis workers.

Gov. Tony Evers signed the legislature’s COVID-19 relief bill into law. Read more about the bill here, or read yesterday’s update below.

Madison Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway announced a new effort to protect the homeless community from COVID-19 in an email press release. This effort includes moving families out of shelters and to hotels to allow for more social distancing space, isolating higher-risk individuals in hotels and opening a new men’s shelter.

Tuesday, April 14.

There have been 3,555 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least 177 deaths in Wisconsin, according to the Department of Health Services.

There are 344 cases in Dane County and in Milwaukee County there are 1,795 cases and 101 deaths.

The Wisconsin State Legislature met this afternoon, they passed a coronavirus response bill that would allow the budget committee to allocate up to $75 million in emergency funding during the public health emergency and up to 90 days after it’s over, according to AP News. 

The bill would also suspend the one-week waiting period for people to receive unemployment benefits. It would be waived for anyone who applied between March 12 and Feb. 7, 2021.

According to AP News, the bill would require the state’s chief economic development agency to create a plan by June 30 to support the major industries adversely affected by the pandemic. The senate will vote on the bill Wednesday.

Monday, April 13.

Wisconsin now has 3,428 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least 154 deaths, according to the Department of Health Services.

There are 340 cases in Dane county. In Milwaukee County there are 1,743 cases and 94 deaths.

Sunday, April 12.

There are 3,341 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Wisconsin and at least 144 deaths, according to the Department of Health Services. 

There are 334 cases and 12 deaths in Dane County and 1,710 cases and 88 deaths in Milwaukee County.

According to a study conducted by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington, Wisconsin will reach its peak number of deaths per day in seven days, while the country as a whole will reach its peak in two days.

The study projects that Wisconsin will suffer a total of 357 deaths by August 4.

Saturday, April 11.

Wisconsin now has 3,213 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least 137 deaths, according to the Department of Health Services. 

Dane County now has 327 cases and 12 deaths, Milwaukee County has 1,653 cases and 85 deaths.

Friday, April 10.

Wisconsin now has 3,068 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least 128 deaths, according to the Department of Health Services. 

Dane County now has 313 cases and 12 deaths, Milwaukee County has 1,575 cases and 77 deaths.

The University of Wisconsin announced in a statement yesterday it will offer SOAR orientation online over the summer. Incoming freshmen will enroll in their classes online, and they’ll have the opportunity to meet their peers and an advisor online.

Parents will also have an online component to complete, UW said.

UW announced today its event cancellation policy will extend to June 30, from May 15. This cancels all in-person campus events and meetings until June 30.

Gov. Tony Evers announced today the creation of a volunteer program to support healthcare workers during the COVID-19 crisis. Interested volunteers can sign up here.

Thursday, April 9.

Wisconsin now has 2,885 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least 111 deaths, according to the Department of Health Services. 

Dane County now has 302 cases and 11 deaths, Milwaukee County has 1,484 cases and 65 deaths.

Public Health Madison and Dane County urged residents to continue following Safer-at-Home in a news release today. Mayor Satya Rhodes-Conway said in the release still, too many people have gathered in large groups. But the release also said, through preliminary observations, distancing has worked to start flattening the curve to some extent.

The DHS announced today they’ve increased their ability to trace people coming into contact with the virus in a news release. They’ve added more people to their staff to help interview those in contact with confirmed cases of COVID to identify early possible paths of infection.

In a press release today, Gov. Tony Evers confirmed drive-up religious gatherings can happen in compliance with the Safer-at-Home order, right in time for Easter. Online, streamed religious services or gatherings of under 10 people are also acceptable.

Evers also announced today the closure of 40 state parks and recreational areas, due to “unprecedented crowds, litter, vandalism and out of an abundance of caution to protect public health and safety and help flatten the curve.”

Wednesday, April 8.

Wisconsin now has 2,756 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least 99 deaths, according to the Department of Health Services. 

Dane County now has 302 cases and 11 deaths, Milwaukee County has 1,417 cases and 54 deaths.

Gov. Tony Evers called today in a press release for bipartisan support to pass his two COVID-19 relief packages. These would support families, workers and businesses affected by the pandemic, according to his release.

Evers proposes two coronavirus relief packages for state

Yesterday, thousands of Wisconsinites voted, despite Evers’ attempts to postpone the primary election over COVID-19 concerns. Evers’ attempt to extend absentee voting was also ruled down, and according to the Associated Press, only 77% of absentee ballots returned on time.