RecWell presents budget to SSFC

RecWell provides budget details and outlines construction plans
Helu Wang

The Student Services Finance Committee heard a budget presentation from Recreation and Wellness, Monday night.

RecWell Interim Director Mick Miyamoto and Associate Director of Member Experience Sadat Khan discussed several upcoming RecWell projects and their fiscal goals.

SSFC debates zero funding Student Veterans of America, adjusts their own budget

Khan and Miyamoto said that RecWell’s mission is to get UW students active, fit and living healthy. They then discussed the importance of participation in RecWell activities. Khan said that while he is happy with a high participation rate among Badgers, he acknowledges RecWell could engage even more students in the near future, citing the upcoming opening of the new Nicholas Recreation Center.

“We’re still sitting great at 68% [of students participating in RecWell],” Khan said. “We hope to get even more students involved as we open up the Nick.”

The Nick, a long-awaited new facility, is slated to open by the end of this year, according to Miyamoto and Khan. The RecWell representatives then addressed an increase in segregated fees from $63.78 to $157.80, saying the increase is due to generate more services for students.

SSFC cuts budget for Student Leadership Program, MEChA requests funding

Miyamoto and Khan detailed RecWell’s projected 2020 fiscal year revenue, including $5,012,2000 in segregated fees and $1,387,800 in alternative revenue, which Miyamoto described as membership fees and events. RecWell also announced that they intended to return $6,2000,000 in the form of programs, services and salaries.

RecWell’s Miyamoto and Khan ended their presentation by unveiling the design plans for a new Natatorium building, set to open in 2023. The building will feature free-weights, an indoor running facility, indoor and outdoor turf facilities and a smoothie bar, according to Miyamoto, who said the new Natatorium will become a centerpiece of campus in the coming years.

“At the end of the day this is a very unique space,” Miyamoto said. “It’s going to be a destination location.”

The SSFC will meet again February 6 to vote on a series of proposed campus organization budgets.