ASM unanimously approves 2019 internal budget, down $70,000 from 2018

ASM budget totals $1,384,236.95, deductions took into account staff working hours
Riley Steinbrenner

In a Coordinating Council meeting Tuesday, Associated Students of Madison voted for and unanimously passed their internal budget.

With a 10-0-0 vote, ASM passed their $1,384,236.95 budget for fiscal year 2019, about a $70,000 decrease from fiscal year 2018.

The budget focused on distributing funds towards allocable fees, such as leadership development and programming, and non-allocable fees, such as staff salaries.

Chair Katrina Morrison explained only allocable budget items were to be discussed because ASM is only able to fully determine the financial changes made to those items.

Funds that ASM determined at Tuesday’s meeting include staff salaries for ASM. Morrison said hour sheets from the past three years were reviewed, and the hours were averaged to determine how much ASM employees were working.

“Based off [the hour sheets], we determined how much they should be maxed out at working,” Morrison said.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2017/10/19/new-freshmen-representatives-elected-to-asm/

Morrison said this was an important determination because ASM has been paying staff all possible or maximum hours they could be working, even if they were not working all those hours in actuality.

Shared Governance Chair Deena Whitwam then asked for a wage analysis to decrease the budget.

Whitwam said she is scheduled to work 20 hours a week, or 80 hours a month, and cannot find enough work to fill the hours. She requested a budget decrease of $6,675, which passed unanimously in a 13-0-0 vote.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2017/10/16/ssfc-approves-muslim-student-association-budget-after-contentious-debate/

ASM also hosted representatives from City Planning to discuss the goals that the department has for Madison.

Planner Brian Grady from the Department of Planning and Community and Economic Development Planning Division said City Planning has an “umbrella plan” for all of Madison that will coordinate different aspects of the city to make sure everything runs efficiently.

Grady said there are three phases for City Planning: where the department is headed, how they will get there and what comes first. In Spring of 2018, the department will review the plan and form an approval.

There is a lot of growth in Madison, and Grady wants to ensure it happens in the right places. To do so, Grady said there are six themes to the plan.

The plan will include public engagement, community meetings, summer outreach, economic and opportunistic approaches, environmental concerns and cultural and characteristic approaches, Grady said.

City Planning wants to be more proactive in their responses and collective criticism from community members, Grady said. They want to hear from a wide demographic, including diversity in race, age and the LGBTQ+ community.

“We stress the relevance of this project to make [viewers] more interactive,” Grady said.