SSFC votes to decrease total MEChA budget by $1,000

MEChA had originally requested additional $3,000 for workshop funding, but were denied
Emilie Cochran

The Student Services Finance Committee met Thursday to discuss the budget for Movimiento Estudiantil Chicanx de Aztlán de UW-Madison and the budget hearing for F.H. King Students for Sustainable Agriculture.

Prior to the final vote on MEChA, the SSFC representatives debated the budget.

SSFC approves eligibility for Black Student Union

Secretary Ethan Young questioned the workshops request of $3,000 due to the low number of only 15 people, many of whom are repeats. He motioned for an amendment to lower that number to $2,000.

Rep. Max Goldfarb also brought forth concerns regarding the increase to the budget for workshops.

“This screams want, not need,” Goldfarb said

The amendment to decrease MEChA’s workshop budget was then approved in a vote of 3-2-3.

After debate regarding the final numbers of the budget for MEChA, SSFC approved the budget of $73,847.50 in a vote of 7-0-2.

F.H. King Students for Sustainable Agriculture gave a presentation regarding their budget by giving an overview of their organization and the costs that it will incur over the next year.

The mission of the organization is to establish a relationship between land, food and community on campus, administrative director Hannah DePorter, said.

Student organization aimed at dispelling stereotypes about students in recovery receives eligibility hearing from SSFC

DePorter emphasized the importance of their interns because they’re responsible for a large area of land as well as bringing produce to campus for students.

While the representatives had questions about the paid positions of the staff during the summer, DePorter said most of the work of farming is done during the summer since it’s growing season. Since they farm organically, it adds another level of complexity.

SSFC will vote on the F.H. King Students for Sustainable Agriculture budget in their next meeting Monday.