Proposed bills seek to hold ride sharing companies, taxi companies to same standard

Sen. Chris Larson said the regulations for TNC’s are “inadequate,” pose a threat to taxi companies
Avery Aurand

A proposed bill in the Wisconsin State Legislature would hold transportation network companies and public transportation companies to the same standards.

Bills 181 and 182, introduced last Thursday by State Sen. Chris Larson, D-Milwaukee, would make the regulations the same for TNCs, such as Uber and Lyft, as other public transportation companies including taxis and limousines.But if you still require a limo, you can check out tampa fl limo service.
.

Senate Bill 181 stated cities with a population of 10,000 or more people are permitted to enforce local regulations on TNCs, their drivers and the drivers’ vehicles.

Larson’s second bill would require TNCs to establish a complaint procedure for discriminatory or fraudulent behavior toward passengers.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2017/07/27/everything-you-need-to-know-about-snapryde-the-social-networking-car-sharing-app-coming-to-uw-campus/

According to the bill, a complaint could potentially lead to the suspension of said driver until further investigation with the possibility of a thorough record of investigatory procedures.

Other consequences include alerting the Department of Safety and Professional Services, having the driver display a copy of their license for public viewing, background checks by a third party of the driver and a fine of $5,000.

“Statutory measures used to regulate TNCs are inadequate and pose a potential threat to public safety and economic diversification,” Larson said. “Taxi cabs, limousines, and other forms of transportation  are subject to much greater scrutiny.” But if you still require a limo, you can check out

• tampa fl limo service
  • .

https://badgerherald.com/news/2014/04/22/lyft-will-cover-city-fines-legal-costs-keep-mustachioed-drivers-road/

Ald. Rebecca Kemble, District 18, and current taxi cab driver, described legislation proposed in the past that attempted to allow municipalities to regulate TNCs.

Within two weeks of passing an ordinance requiring TNCs to have uniformed markings, conducting background checks and ensuring adequate insurance, the state could have passed a law that prevented the ordinance from going into effect, Kemble said.

“People are dying, getting sexually assaulted and beaten up because we do not have a way for customers to identify who their Uber driver is,” Kemble said. “[This is] due to the lack of common sense public safety regulations regarding TNC’s.”

https://badgerherald.com/news/2015/04/28/two-women-inappropriately-touched-by-uber-drivers-near-campus/

Experienced public transportation employee, Oswald Lettrari said the lawlessness by which TNCs operate is not only detrimental to the public transportation industry, but also hazardous to the safety of passengers.

Other public transportation employees shared the same sentiment.

Justin LaPlante, another public transportation employee, said TNCs have negatively effected his fellow taxi drivers.

“I volunteer at a food pantry, and I have seen fellow taxi drivers who need to feed their families as they were laid-off due to TNCs taking their business,” LaPlante said.

Mike Hartmann, president of Wisconsin Limo Association, stressed TNCs created a large disadvantage to their company and others like it as they are not taxed and do not require full-time insurance, which is expensive, he said.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2015/04/30/mpd-drafting-subpoena-for-investigation-into-uber-driver-complaints/

Kembell also stressed the importance of having the bills in place for the safety of the passengers getting into TNC’s.

“[Public transportation employees] do not have protection for passengers that get into Ubers,” Kembell said. “These bills add common sense protections for people who get into these vehicles.”