UW System looks to standardize sexual assault training across institutions

This would be one of the first standardized systemwide trainings in the country, spokesperson said

University of Wisconsin System became among the first in the nation to recommend a systemwide sexual violence and harassment training for all employees and students Monday.

Instead of having each individual institution create its own program, UW System Sexual Violence and Harassment Task Force’s report includes recommendations that will apply to all system institutions, UW System spokesperson Stephanie Marquis said.

“The UW System is among the first in the nation to take this type of comprehensive approach versus having individual institutions implement training, update policies, etc.” Marquis said.

UW student facing multiple counts of sexual assault released on signature bond

The training will primarily take place online and include topics like “healthy relationships, bystander intervention and the Campus Save Act,” Marquis said. The Campus Save Act requires higher education institutions to educate students, faculty and staff on sexual assault, rape, domestic violence and other related topics. Training for students has already begun while employees will complete theirs by the end of the current academic year.

The UW System Board of Regents has created a new comprehensive policy that will consolidate formerly separate policies on sexual violence and harassment, Marquis said. This policy will serve as a template to standardize policies across system institutions. The task force also recommends revisiting  policies on consensual relationships.

How the University of Wisconsin investigates sexual assaults

Marquis said the recommendations also include developing a website connecting victims of sexual violence or harassment with campus support services like counseling, medical assistance and reporting information. It will also serve as a source of information for UW System policies and state and federal laws, among other resources. The site is expected to launch by the end of 2016, she said.

UW System also looks to discuss research and approaches to address sexual violence and harassment across institutions, Marquis said.

“[The recommendations include] creation of an inter-educational collaborative effort bringing together educational stakeholders from K-12 schools, technical colleges, private colleges and the UW System to discuss and share research and approaches to address sexual violence and harassment,” Marquis said.

Walker budget deletes UW System sexual assault language

UW System President Ray Cross has accepted the task force’s report and recommendations and has already approved some parts of the training program. The report will be presented at the Board of Regents meeting Thursday.