Future startup incubator home receives final approval

Commission debates over approving other component to project
Photo courtesy of StartingBlock Madison

The Spark, one of two components in a building project on the 800 block of East Washington Avenue, received final approval from the Urban Design Commission Wednesday.

The Spark, owned by American Family Insurance, will house StartingBlock Madison, an entrepreneurial hub for local entrepreneur looking to grow their businesses. The other component, The Cosmos, a Gebhardt Development project, will include a performance venue operated by Frank Production.

Spokespeople for both components of the project presented their newest updates for the project in hopes of receiving final approval from the commission.

New hub in town: StartingBlock aims to spur startup activity in Madison

While The Spark received final approval from the commission for it’s nine-story, 158,000 square-foot space, many of the commission members had concerns toward The Cosmos’ component of the project.

The commission gave initial approval for the four-story version of the project, but not the newly proposed eight-story building.

City council, community members raise concerns over proposed music venue

Commission members were concerned about the bicycle parking, lack of public park space and the extra stories.

Tim Parks, a city planner, said having 125 biking spots for a music venue, which could potentially hold up to 2,500 people, is not enough. He said the number of spots does not represent the percentage of people going places by bike in Madison.

“We’re very supportive of both projects,” Parks said. “They are great projects that we’ve wanted for this site for over a decade.”

To seek further approval, Gebhardt Development will need to address some of the commission’s concerns.

Both components are set to go to the Plan Commission Dec. 12.