Woman sexually assaulted after suspect asks for a ‘hug’

Suspect forcefully hugged victim, touched her innapropriately until she could get away
Herald Archives

A 16-year-old female was sexually assaulted late Sunday night near an apartment building on 4700 Hayes Road.

According to a Madison Police Department incident report, the victim was taking a Madison Metro bus around 10 p.m. near East Towne Mall when the suspect struck a conversation with her. The suspect offered to walk the victim home, but she refused, MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

When she got off the bus, the suspect followed her and asked her for a hug. Before she could refuse, the suspect began hugging her and attempted to kiss her. He touched her inappropriately over her clothes until she was able to push him off.

The victim was then able to get inside a locked apartment building and call the police. The report stated the suspect walked away in an unknown direction.

The suspect has been described as a black male with a darker complexion and full beard. He is in his early 20s and of medium build. He was last seen wearing a dark green hooded sweatshirt, brown knit cap and blue jeans.

As this is a case of fourth degree sexual assault, DeSpain said MPD is trying its best to identify this person and arrest him as soon as possible. DeSpain said MPD is looking to get video footage from the bus for more leads on his appearance.