UW-Stout community grieves death of student

University utilizes full resources to find assaultant
Photo courtesy of Flickr user Aine

University of Wisconsin-Stout student Hussain Alnahdi died early Sunday after being attacked near a pizza place off campus, according to an email sent to UW-Stout students, faculty and staff.

Alnahdi passed away from injuries suffered in an assault in downtown Menomonie, Wisconsin, according to the email. Doug Mell, a UW-Stout spokesperson, said the incident occurred at about 2:11 a.m. Sunday. 

The Menomonie Police Department is treating the case as a homicide, according to Eau Claire’s WQOW. Alnahdi, a business administration student from Saudi Arabia, was treated for his injuries at Mayo Clinic Health System in Eau Claire, Wisconsin but died from his injuries, according to the email. 

Chancellor Bob Meyer said in a blog post this is a painful time for everyone on UW-Stout’s campus.

“My heart also aches for the friends, faculty and staff whose lives Hussain had touched since coming to UW-Stout in 2015,” Meyer said. “My heart aches for the dedicated and compassionate staff at UW-Stout whose responsibility it is to respond to this type of tragedy.”

UW System President Ray Cross said in a statement he sympathized with Alnahdi’s family, friends and campus community.

“It is difficult to find the right words in light of such a tragedy, except to express our sorrow for all who knew Hussain,” Cross said.

Meyer said it is vital people don’t jump to conclusions until the Menomonie Police Department’s investigation is complete.

Mell said the university’s priorities are twofold in the aftermath of the incident.

“Number one is to ensure that our students, faculty and staff have the support that they need as they deal with the grief that they’re going through because of Hussain’s death,’ Meyer said. “[The second] is we’re directing all the resources that the university has to help the Menomonie Police Department find this assailant.”

Mell and Meyer urged people with information on the case to contact MPD investigator Kelly Pollock at 715-231-8511, anonymously submit information at Crime Stoppers or text a tip line.

The UW-Stout Dean of Students’ office has contacted everyone on campus about the event and has a counseling center on campus available for students. Mell said the center is being fully deployed to help “anybody who needs assistance in this time.”

Meyer said the university will keep the grieving campus community updated as events unfold.

“The reaction of the UW-Stout community to this tragedy has shown, once again, why this place is so special to me,” Meyer said.