Select Chocolate Shoppe ice cream under recall

Ice creams with chocolate chip cookie dough ingredients could be contaminated

The Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Company is recalling select ice creams because of a potential contaminated ingredient.

Jon Lauersdorf, the vice president of quality assurance at the company, said the recall was caused by Aspen Hills, Inc. which supplies the chocolate chip cookie dough ingredient.

https://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2014/05/01/best-ice-cream-madison/

He said there were inadequacies with their food safety system such as improper employee uniforms and incorrect documentation.

The recall will impact a total of 4,183 three-gallon cartons and 5,296 pints.

According to a Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Company Inc. statement, the product could be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause short-term symptoms like high fever, sever headache or nausea to healthy individuals. It can be fatal to young children, frail or elderly people.

Lauersdorf said at this time, there is no reason to believe any of the product is contaminated. No illnesses at Chocolate Shoppe have been reported.

“We are taking an extreme line of cautiousness on this because we don’t want anyone to get sick,” Lauersdorf said. “The public’s safety and health is first and foremost.”

He said Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream was the third company out of 27 to be contacted by Aspen Hills, Inc. following Bluebell and Blue Bunny.

Lauersdorf said the company has worked hard to contact the entire customer base.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2015/10/29/after-cold-spell-ice-cream-sales-heating-up-again/

“We hope that our customers know of our good efforts and stand by us through these times,” Lauersdorf said.

Customers are urged to destroy or return the possibly affected products.